• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it worthwhile coding [W3.CSS framework] in v4 or will this cause issues for end users?

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CSS v4 was released March of last year.  It is supposed to be faster and is also supposed to provide enhanced support for the progressive enhancement philosophy (mobile first design).

Is this indeed the case?  Is it worth while coding CSS in v4 or will doing so create issues for end users?

I would much appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Jay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

The OP could mean -

https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/w3css_versions.asp

To the OP -

If it is the w3css version 4 that you are asking about, this is a w3 css framework and nothing to do with the official W3C. So it is for the user to decide, and the use of the framework is the same as someone deciding to use bootstrap.

The w3schools is NOT to be confused with the W3C, and is not associated in any way with the W3C -

https://www.w3.org

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you mean by CSS v4 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP could mean -

https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/w3css_versions.asp

To the OP -

If it is the w3css version 4 that you are asking about, this is a w3 css framework and nothing to do with the official W3C. So it is for the user to decide, and the use of the framework is the same as someone deciding to use bootstrap.

The w3schools is NOT to be confused with the W3C, and is not associated in any way with the W3C -

https://www.w3.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They might mean this: Selectors Level 4

But... the more I look at it, the more I think they're talking about the W3Schools' framework.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confusing isn't it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No more confusing than questions about templates and DW.

Without clarification, they're always a guessing game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Confusing isn't it

The only thing which is confusing is there are so many frameworks. Once you lock yourself into one its difficult to set youreslf free because you have committed so much time to learning the specific css classes...........either you memorize them or spend so much time Googling for which class to use youre practically not a web-developer but a color-by-number operator.

Do yourself a favour guys and girls spend a week learning some simple css and html and it will be better than any farmework which has ever been built, using front end frameworks youre practically selling yourself to the devil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

...using front end frameworks you're practically selling yourself to the devil.

Understanding the job market and what employers expect from applicants is probably not on your bucket list these days.   But for many people, understanding various code frameworks and CMSs is a lucrative skill to have.   Check out the web-related jobs posted on Behance sometime.

Behance

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

osgood_   wrote

...using front end frameworks you're practically selling yourself to the devil.

Understanding the job market and what employers expect from applicants is probably not on your bucket list these days.   But for many people, understanding various code frameworks and CMSs is a lucrative skill to have.   Check out the web-related jobs posted on Behance sometime.

Behance

I checked out the website job market recently on Reed I think and I didnt see one advert mention css frameworks, stuff like angular and vue but not one mentioned Bootstrap or any other, which at the time I thought was strange. Since we are moving towards a new way of creating websites with css grid and I cant imagine Bootstrap can include all of that as the best way to deploy grid is using specifically named grid areas and you physically have to write that - frameworks are dead or going to be for all for but those who resist moving on.

I think one advert specifically mentions Bootstrap on the first page of the job listing, many other things but not front end frameworks, mainly a good knowledege of htm5/css/javascript/jquery even angular, vue etc

Web Developer jobs - reed.co.uk

I found another one on about page 3 which mentions Bootsrtap and Foundation but its not as you think, most dont specifically state any framework experience is needed at all, most do however say a good knowledege of the basics you'd expect from someone who claims to be a web-developer is required, that being html5, css, javascript, jquery and some kind of server language, anything else unless mentioned is a bonus I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Paula is right... it's probably about the w3 libs... selector level 4 started 2010 or 2011... I don't quite remember... they are pretty old now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a big advocate of the W3's CSS framework but it's lightweight and a good starting point for beginners to responsive web design.

Whichever framework you decide to use --  be it W3's CSS, Bootstrap, Skeleton, Foundation, etc... --  it's often best to use the latest version.   According to their release notes, ver 4 is an improvement over ver 3.

W3.CSS Downloads

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 'confusing isn't it' comment was in reference to the OP's original post, and that person obviously not realising that css itself has level 4 specs.

As for Behance having bootstrap related job ads, and most other job sites not mentioning frameworks. This could be because Behance is an Adobe product, and most people having a CC subscription look at Dw and associate it and the people who use it, with using Bootstrap for the creation of web sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaygtel  wrote

CSS v4 was released March of last year.  It is supposed to be faster and is also supposed to provide enhanced support for the progressive enhancement philosophy (mobile first design).

Is this indeed the case?  Is it worth while coding CSS in v4 or will doing so create issues for end users?

I would much appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Jay

Guys I am sorry, I was on a mobile and for some reason hadn't noticed that I was on the wrong the site.  I would delete this question as pziecina​said, this was a mistake on my behalf about what site I was on.  It was a typing error that lead me to the W3Schools website rather than the W3C website.

That is why this question did not make any sense at all.  I am sorry, I would delete the question if I knew how but there doesn't appear to be a way now that it has been answered.

Sorry guys. I thought it was weird, as I hadn't heard of CSS4, which is why I posted the question about it but obviously I hadn't since I was on the wrong site in the first place.

damn it I feel like a noob now. I will give the best answer to pziecina​ as they spotted my silly mistake.  Next time I really need to make sure what site I am on before I go asking questions.

Thanks guys

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jaygtel

Don't worry about confusing the W3schools site with the W3C, as many people do so, and many continue to think it is associated with the official W3C in some way.

If you are interested in knowing about the W3C specs, and how to use them beyond trying to follow the specs, (which are mainly written for implementors) then the site recommended by Mozzila, (Firefox), Microsoft and more importantly the W3C themselves is -

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

The site gives very good explanations, examples and browser support info, on all the W3C specs that are implemented in browsers, (even if that is just one browser).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines