• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop opened back to default and lost settings and actions

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop closed unexpectedly and reopened back to default settings.  I lost all my actions as well as my screen resolution is miniscule. So I updated photoshop this morning and that did not help.  Cannot read the words on the screen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

kimm51392508  wrote

I lost all my actions as well as my screen resolution is miniscule.

As already stated, you have to save your actions (and swatches and brushes and gradients and shapes and more) or you risk losing them. For Actions, click on the name of the set (not the action) and choose Save Set from the Actions panel menu. Repeat every time you add or modify an action in the set. Then you can Load Actions from the panel menu and restore the actions in your custom folder. They have an .atn

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the latest Photoshop (v19.1.1) with Windows 10?

If so the User Interface is scaled according to the Windows 10 settings at Windows > Settings > Display > Scale and Layout. You must use windows 10 version 1607 or later.

If you are using an earlier version of Windows, e.g.  Windows 7 or Windows 8 the the interface size can be set In Photoshop > Edit > Preferences > Interface  > Text > UI Scaling but is limited to 100% or 200% (on Windows 10 that setting does nothing)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, windows 10 64 bit.  My screen resolution is 3840 x 2160.  I updated to the most current version of photoshop this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok

Type winver into the Windows search box and check you are using Windows 10 version 1607 or later (the current version is 1709)

If you are then go to Windows settings (not Photoshop)  > Display > Scale and Layout and set your interface scale. Photoshop will pick it up and scale accordingly

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My scale was at 250% which is the recommended and on the current version of windows.  I ended up going into preferences in photoshop and then to interface.  I checked the auto box on UI scaling and it fixed it. Thank goodness!  THank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly many people have lost their actions by not explicitly saving them.

Prepression: Photoshop – Custom Action File Backup & Migration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had all my purchased actions in a one spot so I just needed to reload them.  It was the actions that I have made along the way that are gone.  I assumed they were saved but apparently not.  I thought I could just reload the workspace action pallette but it didn't work.  From now on I just need to remember to save what I make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, save, save, save, and also test it as you go, Kim.

Create a folder (Set) and name it, then create and name the first action. Save the set (not the action).

From the panel menu, reset the Actions. Your set will disappear.

From the panel menu, load your action set back in.

Modify your action.

Reset Actions without saving your set. You lose the modifications.

Load your action back in

Modify it.

Save your set.

Create a second action in the same set.

And test this: if you save your set before you reset actions, you keep the second action. Otherwise you lose it.

I'm so sorry you lost the ones you had, but now you know!

Best,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kimm51392508  wrote

I lost all my actions as well as my screen resolution is miniscule.

As already stated, you have to save your actions (and swatches and brushes and gradients and shapes and more) or you risk losing them. For Actions, click on the name of the set (not the action) and choose Save Set from the Actions panel menu. Repeat every time you add or modify an action in the set. Then you can Load Actions from the panel menu and restore the actions in your custom folder. They have an .atn extension.

Be sure to do the same thing for other things you customize as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had all my purchased actions in a one spot so I just needed to reload them.  It was the actions that I have made along the way that are gone.  I assumed they were saved but apparently not.  I thought I could just reload the workspace action pallette but it didn't work.  From now on I just need to remember to save what I make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a cop-out. Why [xxxx] isn't Adobe saving that stuff for me. Why is it not saving it to the cloud. Why should I pay a subscription service if I still can't rely on it to do it's job and waste my time with busy work. I hope the saved time on adobe devs was worth it, because I'm sure their sloppy code is costing millions of man-hours across the industry.

[foul language removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Augusto,

Requests for feature update to Photoshop (now 30 years old) can be made to the product team here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

In the meantime, here is the Help page for Actions:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/migrate-actions.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, my very expensive CS6 has just decided to lose all its settings and brushes. Now will also give me very limited options. The help menu takes me to a 'can not find' page. 

Is this seriously how Adobe MAKE you go to their ridicularly priced subscription option? 
If so, they can roll their wads of money and shove it up their backside. I've bled enough dough already. Looking for a Photoshop alternative for basic family/school/work solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines