• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to apply two animation effects to single text layer?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm using After Effects CC.

On one of my text layers, I applied the "Florescent light" animation effect. It lasts the whole duration. What I'm trying to do is apply the "explosion 2" animation effect that happens later in the timeline. When I apply this it seems to replace/delete the Florescent light effect. Is there a way to be able to have both?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

I've just tried it and it works. There's a trick that's required and it's because the Fluorescent Light preset uses the Wiggly Selector, which requires it to be placed below other Text Animator Groups for it to work together with the other Text Animator Groups. Note that the Explosion 2 preset includes three Text Animator Groups.

So, if you've applied the presets in this order; Fluorescent Light Preset and then Explosion 2, you will have to drag the Text Animator Group for Fluorescent Light belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply as many Text Animation Presets as you want, onto a single Text Layer. However, matters can get quite messy as the different Animation Presets may combine with each other, to the extent where different Animation Presets may cancel each other's intended effect or accentuate each other's effect - the end result is such that you will have a hard time visualizing the actual effect you will be receiving.

To help you out, begin identifying Text Animations as belonging to three different groups —Animating in, Animating out, and Animating while on screen. In fact, the first groups I mentioned are placed into similarly named folders in the main Text Animation Preset folder. Do take note there are other Text Animation Presets that animate either in or out but they have been placed in other folders, for better separation, based on their results they portray.

For your case, you have already alluded to the Florescent Light Preset as an example of an animation that happens on screen. Then you described the Explosion 2 preset as creating a transition out effect. To combine these two, you will want the Florescent Light effect to start first. Then decide where, in time, you want the Explosion 2 preset to begin. You will need to understand that applying presets is identical to pasting keyframes, since most presets include keyframes. When pasting keyframes, it is critical to place your Current Time Indicator (CTI) at the point in time you want the first keyframe to occur, in time. Hence, prior to applying the second preset, first decide on where in time you want the transition out effect to occur, in time. Place the CTI at the decided point in time and and only then should you proceed with applying the preset.

HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the response. I've tried exactly this. The explosion effect is later in the timeline and I have the CTI exactly where I want it. but it still seems to delete/replace the Florescent light effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried it and it works. There's a trick that's required and it's because the Fluorescent Light preset uses the Wiggly Selector, which requires it to be placed below other Text Animator Groups for it to work together with the other Text Animator Groups. Note that the Explosion 2 preset includes three Text Animator Groups.

So, if you've applied the presets in this order; Fluorescent Light Preset and then Explosion 2, you will have to drag the Text Animator Group for Fluorescent Light below the three Text Animator Groups for Explosion 2.

Alternatively, you can start over: then apply Explosion 2 prior to Fluorescent Light and you won't have to change the order of the Text Animator Groups. Just ensure you are mindful of where your CTI is when you apply Explosion 2.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is perfect. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest you forget about using the presets for the time being and go back to the basics - read up on what text animators actually are and how they work, then experiment around by manually applying multiple animators and range selectors to understand how they interact. This will be much simpler than trying to figure out how the presets work if you have no prior knowledge.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines