Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with MathFlow Equation

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm posting this question here after an e-mail discussion with Design Science's tech support. I have been starting to work with FrameMaker again after quite some time. I have installed a fresh 2017 version and wanted to evaluate the MathML equations. I am not able to print any of these equations (I get an error "some of the imported graphics cannot be printed" from FrameMaker) and if producing a pdf file  the equations render with squares for +/- and equal signs...

As I said, this happens using an out of the box new install on a Windows 10 system with no settings changed (latest Framemaker update applied). I was wondering whether anyone was experiencing similar problems or has an idea what might be wrong here.

Thanks

Klaus

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Klaus,

I have been struggling with this same issue for months. I spent a dozen hours on the phone with Adobe support and exchanged multiple emails with Design Science.

What I have learned is that it is a font issue. I was not able to determine the exact font that was the issue. I was however able to find a work-around. Several people in our office had the same issue, but one person did not.  To resolve the issue I took all of the fonts from the system that worked and installed them on the system that did not work. (When prompted choose the option to overwrite existing files.)  This fixed the issue.

I realize that this is not a very precise fix (the other machine had 600 fonts).  But it did resolve the issue. Hopefully you can find a machine that works. Try a machine that isn't new.

If you find the exact cause please post it.

- Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

it's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I have tested it on another PC but I do get the same results. So the challenge for me is to find a system where it works... 😉

Design Science's support indicated it might be related to the Times New Roman version that is used by Windows 10. I have no clue how to replace it by another version, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those boxes, in most instances, mean that the character has a codepoint that is not populated in the specified font.

Have you any way to tell what codepoints are present for the boxed glyphs?

In the case of "+", for example, I would expect any font to have legacy codepoint U+002B populated, but MathFlow might have gotten fancy, and had their software emit U+FF0B (fullwidth +) or U+2795 (heavy +), neither of which appear to exist in TNR as of Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the funny thing is that it all characters are present in the MathFlow editing window and in FrameMaker after entering the equation... The "character replacement" happens upon rendering to pdf and the equation does not print at all (only grey box), when printing from FrameMaker.

Using a predefined equation from MathFlow:

in FrameMaker:

pdf output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be totally missing the point here, but could this be one of those CMYK vs RGB output problems that we occasionally see? I can't test this myself as I don't have a MathFlow licence. I only mention this as I had a similar problem a few years ago with the standard equation editor.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Klaus, it looks like you need to manually embed the font into the PDF via the .joboptions file.

I use Distiller to access and modify .joboptions. Here are a description and video of the process

Tech Comm Tools - Solving missing fonts in PDF

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines