• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there an add-on app to convert "Lightroom Classic" photos into sketches?

Participant ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.     Currently, using my iMac, I email Lightroom edited images to my iPad. Then save them into it's "Photos" library.

2.    Next I select an appropriate iPad app (from a few choices) that converts photos into sketches and/paintings. Then, when satisfied with the result, I return them to Lightroom.

I'm wondering if there are conversion apps that can can be integrated into Lightroom classic. I suspect it would be a simpler, faster route.

Cliff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

cliffh73876430  wrote

I'm wondering if there are conversion apps that can can be integrated into Lightroom classic. I suspect it would be a simpler, faster route.

It depends on whether you're talking about integrating conversion apps on the iPad, or on the Mac. Both are possible.

If you're already using Lightroom Classic and an iPad, a great shortcut is to use a collection shared to Lightroom CC (mobile).

1. In Lightroom on your Mac, create a collection. You can name it something like "To iPad for sket

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have LR Classic CC then you have a subscription to the Photographers plan. With that plan comes Adobe Photoshop.

That is the program you should look at to do what you are asking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion.

It certainly makes sense to use Photoshop but as I'm comfortable with Lightroom I'm trying to stick with it.

I appreciate your help though.

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cliffh73876430  wrote

It depends on whether you're talking about integrating conversion apps on the iPad, or on the Mac. Both are possible.

If you're already using Lightroom Classic and an iPad, a great shortcut is to use a collection shared to Lightroom CC (mobile).

1. In Lightroom on your Mac, create a collection. You can name it something like "To iPad for sketches".
  2. Enable Lightroom CC syncing for that collection.
  3. When you have a photo you want to convert into a sketch, add it to the collection. Because the collection syncs, the image will be synced to Lightroom CC (cloud storage).
  4. Switch to your iPad and open the Lightroom CC app. In there, you should see the image that synced up from Lightroom on your Mac.
  5. Go to the image and tap the standard iOS "share" icon at the top of the screen.
  6. Tap Share and choose a size.
  7. In the standard iOS share sheet, tap the other iOS app you want to use for the sketch conversion. The image should open in it.

In the share sheet, instead of tapping Share, you can also try tapping Open In or Edit In, because they present different lists of iPad apps. Use whichever list has the app you want to send the image to.

After you've done it a few times, you'll realize that all you are really doing is adding an image to a Lightroom collection on the Mac, picking it up in Lightroom on the iPad, and sharing it straight to another iPad app. That's it. No emailing needed. No having to go through the Photos app. You can cut out all those steps.

If you have other photo applications on your Mac that you'd like to integrate, choose Lightroom > Preferences, and in the Additional External Editor section, create a new External Editor preset for any other Mac image application you have. After you do that, you can select a photo in Lightroom, choose Photo > Edit In, and whatever application you added will be on that submenu for you to choose. When you choose it, the Lightroom photo will be sent directly to that other Mac application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My appreciation "Conrad C" for your easy to follow suggestion.

And thank you for using your time to help me.

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found another, simple way of using a sketch app with Lightroom.

1.     I select a photo in Lightroom and drag it onto the Desktop.

2.     I drag the Desktop photo into "Akvis Sketch" and edit it.

3.     I save it to the Desktop then import it into Lightroom.

Q.E.D.

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With drag and drop, it should be possible for you to skip the desktop step, and simply drag the image directly from the Lightroom grid or filmstrip into Akvis Sketch.

If the image is not raw, that should work as well as drag-and-drop through the desktop, but with one less step. If the image is raw, it will be dragged to Akvis Sketch without Lightroom adjustments.

Your step 3 doesn't change; you do have to save the edited image from Akvis Sketch and then drag it into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  You're all so helpful...

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad C.

I do indeed use RAW so will give it a try.

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even easier!

If Akvis Sketch is installed  as "Standalone" then you can use Lightroom's menu "Edit-In" to 'open' any image from Lightroom by a simple Right-click>Edit-In>Akvis Sketch.  Thus it works like a Plug-in.

'Save' in  Akvis Sketch will automatically have the new photo appear back in the LR catalog library.

You will, (of necessity), have to add the Akvis Sketch app (program) to the list of External Editors in the Lr Preferences. This is the same as others who might use NIK Efex, or many other software programs for editing. (I have NIK, Artrage, Foto-Sketcher, Gimp, all listed for 'Edit-In' )

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC may I ask for further guidance please?

I thought I knew how to add apps to my list of External Editors but it's become patent that I was mistaken. (Maybe an age thing with the approach of the Big Ninety looming ahead.....)

Presumably I enter AKVIS SKETCH into the Preset box...but how?

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 10.46.06 am.png

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cliff,

Sorry for a long post, but I will see if I can put it in screen-clips:

1) As in your screen-clip  click on [Choose]   (ignore anything already in the box!  ie. do not type 'Akvis' here.)

ScreenShot204.jpg

2) In the Finder/FileExplorer window that opens navigate to the App/exe program where it installed. Highlight the App and click [Choose] in the Finder window.

(I am not familiar with Mac systems, but likely found in your "Applications" folder.)

(My clips illustrate adding Nik Silver Efex  in Windows)

ScreenShot205.jpg

3) You will see the App name appear UNDER the box :  Application:  ......  (You should see Akvis Sketch...  here)

ScreenShot206.jpg

4) Set up the options for the type of file that Akvis needs.  That could be a JPG 8bit  or something else.

ScreenShot207.jpg

5) Now- the 'tricky' part!  Click back on the Drop-down menu at the end of the [Preset:] box, and select {Save current settings as a new preset...} from the drop-down menu.

ScreenShot208.jpg   ScreenShot209.jpg

6) Type a NAME for the preset as you would like to see.  eg.  AKVIS SKETCH   then click the [Create] button

ScreenShot210.jpg

7) Done.   You have it listed in External Editors.

When you right-click on ANY thumbnail in the library grid (any type of file) and select [Edit-In], choose "AKVIS SKETCH" and Lightroom creates a JPG file and opens it in Akvis. When you "Save" the file from Akvis it will already be cataloged in the LR library.

Good luck I trust you are successful.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...thank you....

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe the Lightroom engineers make it so complex and non-intutive to add external editors. I guess I'm really dumb, but I would have just added a + sign in the Preferences window and clicking that would allow you add any and all external editors by just clicking on them. Wish I were as smart as Adobe engineers so I could make this chore as hard and non-intutive as they've made it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You!, not intuitive but it works fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines