• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick selection tool leaves red line around selected area when done

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the quick selection tool, and at a glance it appears to have selected the appropriate area.  Once I'm done adjusting the white background and I discard the selection tool, there is a red line around my photo and it looks sloppy.  Is PhotoShop a professional tool to edit photos?  What am I doing wrong here?  Please see attached picture here.

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 10.13.24 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Did you refine the selection its name is quick selection not perfect selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you refine the selection its name is quick selection not perfect selection.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think I did.  How do I refine the selection once it's made?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of answers depending on your subject.

1. For smooth hard edges I would make a path with the pen tool and convert the path to a selection. It will give a better selection on that edge than the quick select tool.

2. With any selection, but particularly those with a softer /anti-aliased edge, the edge pixels can be contaminated with colour from the previous background. This is easily resolved. Add a layer above the masked layer and set its blending mode to colour. Then Alt click between the layers in the layer panel so that the new layer is clipped to the layer below. The clipping means it will only affect pixels that are solid on the layer below.
Now take a small soft edge brush and pick up the colour from the edge of the masked image by Alt clicking (you may need to change this as you work around the image) then brush around the edge of the selection. The red contamination will change to the image colour.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines