Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish to HTML?

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've heard about Flash being "shut down" for a while and that everyone should start publishing in HTML, but I'm not quite sure I understand everything

Current e-learning that is published in SWF, is it easy to just re-publish in HTML or are there other things I need to think of first?

If any object etc looks "weird" in HTML (but worked fine in SWF), what do I do then?

Is there any specific browser for HTML output? I've tried it before and for some, it didn't work to watch the course.

Appreciate all information about this, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

The end of life for the Flash Player has been announced and several recent versions of browsers don't activate it anymore by default. On Mobile devices Flash player is not supported at all since quite a while, but same will happen (end of next year) with browsers on Desktop/laptops.

It is indeed urgent to convert all courses to HTML5 output, which is supported by all modern browsers, but will not have the same result in all browsers. Not all Captivate features are supported for HTML5 output, and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The end of life for the Flash Player has been announced and several recent versions of browsers don't activate it anymore by default. On Mobile devices Flash player is not supported at all since quite a while, but same will happen (end of next year) with browsers on Desktop/laptops.

It is indeed urgent to convert all courses to HTML5 output, which is supported by all modern browsers, but will not have the same result in all browsers. Not all Captivate features are supported for HTML5 output, and will have to be removed or replaced when you want that conversion. The HTML Tracker (under Project menu) can help you. Flash animations have to be replaced by HTML animations or animated GIF's. Rollover objects are not supported neither, just to mention some limitations.

Another problem with HTML output, for normal non-responsive projects, is the fact that all Preview methods at this moment do use a temporary SWF, with the exception of F11, Preview HTML in Browser. More than the very standardized SWF output, a published HTML course will have to be uploaded to a webserver or a LMS to see all functionality.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the information Lilybiri.

Do you know if Adobe will create something that can replace roll-over objects? I mean, if things like these won't work in HTML it will limit a lot!

Has Captivate inbuilt HTML animations or where can these be found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still perform rollover captions, images and slidelets. These are not going away for blank projects published as HTML5. They are just not compatible with responsive design. However, keep in mind that while you can add them to blank projects, if a user with a tablet or smartphone views courses that contain them, they will not be able to activate these features.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer Paul!

I will only be using laptop/computer and not mobile devices so then I'm glad it will continue to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rollover objects can be functional on desktop/laptop screens but they have no sense whatsoever for mobile devices. Rollover items are mentioned in the Project, HTML Tracker as not supported. I would not recommend to keep rollover items if you want the ourses to be 'future' proof.

When you publish to HTML5, you will get a folder. If you have reporting turned on that folder will automatically be zipped (as required for a SCO) and you just have to upload that zipped folder. Either you upload the folder (when no SCORM reporting is required) to a webserver or the SCO (when reporting) to a LMS. You will have to be sure that the LMS supports HTML5, some older ones do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! Thank you so much for all the help Lilybiri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful: rollovers are not guaranteed to work at all, depends on the browser and the used system. Don't count on it that it will always work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another question. If I want to upload the published HTML to LMS, how does that work and what is the name of the file which should be uploaded?

Will it be a SCORM or what kind of settings in Captivate must I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still SCORM and it will still produce a ZIP file that you upload in the same manner.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources