• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best way to learn Adobe Photoshop?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first decided to learn Photoshop, I bought a book. I believe Photoshop was then at version 3 (that's long before Creative Suite, and before The Internet As We Now Know It™ existed).

I no longer recall the name of the book, but it was something like 800-plus pages packed with textbook-like information…colour theory, what each tool did and lots more in mind-numbingly intensive detail). I gained little from it except a giant headache and a deep frustration that Photoshop was such a vast universe it would be impossible to ever master it.

I was wrong.

A year or so later, I was fortunate enough to receive on-the-job training from certified Photoshop experts (I was a journalist with a newspaper at the time, and we were just transitioning to editorial staff taking on the responsibility for page design). Suddenly, in the context of the publishing workflow and what needed to be done, it all made sense.

The reason for the long preamble is this: When you say you want to learn Photoshop from scratch, the question has to be asked…What are you going to use Photoshop for? Advertising graphics? Print publishing? Web design? Comic book illustration? Glamour retouching?

The answer to that question will dictate the approach you should take. For someone just learning the program, Photoshop can seem overwhelming, so start off with manageable chunks. There is so much to learn that even advanced users are constantly picking up new things [link to Amazon removed by moderator] Thus this is one of my design that I did with Photoshop.

The best approach to take—in my opinion—is this:

1. Familiarize yourself with the basic tools. A good course to take would be Ben Willmore's Adobe Photoshop Starter Kit, $59 on CreativeLive. Ben Willmore is something of a Photoshop icon, and this course covers the basics and then some. One of the video segments is available as a free download, so you can try before you buy.
  2. Look for someone in your field of interest to help establish a workflow, and then look for tutorials that address your specific needs. Adobe TVcovers a great deal and it's free, but also take a look at lynda.com.

One important thing to keep in mind is that virtually every design professional uses Photoshop in conjunction with one or more apps like InDesign, Quark XPress, Illustrator, Lightroom or Bridge. Seeing Photoshop as a tool to be used in isolation will only set you up for frustration.

Once you're up to speed with one aspect of Photoshop, you can explore what else you can do with the program. As I said at the start, there's no limit to how much you can learn with this program, which is a beast and beauty wrapped into one.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?