• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to extrude shapes created in Photoshop?

Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a  logo in Photoshop and I'd just like to bring its shapes into After Effects and extrude them as 3D.

I've managed to get the shapes into After Effects by copying the paths in Photoshop and pasting them as masks (though this method means manually lining them up, which is a bit clumsy).

The trouble is, you can't extrude a mask, so I need them as shapes.

In order to turn a mask path into a shape, I created a new shape layer, added a path, then copied the mask path into the path parameter. The path does appear in the shape, but when I add a fill or stroke, no fill or stroke appear! The path just remains as an outline.

See image:

Untitled-1.png

(I'm fairly new to After Effects so please forgive my ignorance here.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

I believe you've copied the Mask (its folder) rather than the Mask Path. Twirl down the arrow to the left of the Mask 1 label. You wlil see a property named "MasK Path". Select Mask Path property and copy it. Then select the Shape Layer's Path property and commit to a paste routine.

Don't forget to switch off the Solid Layer. Your insert image is a visual representation of your Mask. It's actually confusing putting it up there.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you've copied the Mask (its folder) rather than the Mask Path. Twirl down the arrow to the left of the Mask 1 label. You wlil see a property named "MasK Path". Select Mask Path property and copy it. Then select the Shape Layer's Path property and commit to a paste routine.

Don't forget to switch off the Solid Layer. Your insert image is a visual representation of your Mask. It's actually confusing putting it up there.

HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much Roland! That was indeed the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines