3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2018 8:51 PM by everdream274

Very slow saves in PS 2018

London_Crockett Level 1

I'm not sure the exact timing, but I think it's since the last update, my saves for large files has slowed to a crawl—several minutes for a 500 MB (raw size) TIF. File export doesn't appear to be effects.

I'm using Photoshop 19.1.1 release on a Mac running MacOS 10.13.3 (High Sierra), saving to an external drive.

• 1. Re: Very slow saves in PS 2018
          Tony4x4 Level 1

I am having the same problem saving Tiff files.
          My files are 1GB but I have 32GB Ram. The 1st 95% saves fast but the last 5% can take 5 mins.
          Activity monitor shows no other task taking up CPU % (all tasks <10%)
          Every now and then the CPU usage for PS spikes to 25-50% in that last 5% of saving the file.

This is very frustrating. Same issue with a newly rebooted system and no other apps running.

• 2. Re: Very slow saves in PS 2018
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

The usual answer to this is to disable compression in Preferences > File Handling, but Preferences shows this to be for PSD and PSB files.  It can make a massive difference saving times, so I'd be inclined to give a try even if your issue is with TIF files.

Note, we had a similar thread here a few weeks ago, and out of interest and to prove a point, I tried saving a very large file with Compression on and off.  A 30 second save with compression off, turned into ten minutes with compression on, and that was with a half reasonable system.

• 3. Re: Very slow saves in PS 2018
              everdream274 Level 1

I checked the box to disable compression, but had NO NOTICEABLE change in save times - still takes several minutes (like 10 minutes or more) to save a large PSD file (662 Mb) with several layers and a big PNG layer.  I have 16 Gb RAM, dual HDDs, GeForce GT630 GPU... and this has been a very adequate system when running CS5 and 2015 - but 2018 is useless to me now.

This is so annoying it makes 2018 CC version UNUSABLE for all intents and purposes. I have tried using my second HDD as a scratch disk - no change. I tried disabling my GPU - no change. Turned the GPU back on - no change. Bottom line: I can NOT figure out why these large files take so long to save in 2018. The same files running in 2015 or CS5 worked / saved "normally" - meaning large files DO take longer, but NOT 10 minutes - more like 1 or 2 minutes at the most.

I can not understand why 2018's performance in this matter is so much worse than its predecessors. I wish I had a solution. For now, I'm uninstalling 2018 and going back to 2015 or CS5 so I can actually get some work done.