3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 5:05 PM by Newsgroup_User

frames help, fix header to top of page

dellvostro
      I need to create a page that has one fixed top frame so the header will show no matter how far down the page a visitor scrolls. Im not a fan of frames, but its what the boss wants, so here goes.
      I tried using the frameset template from dw3. I thought I had an understanding of how it works, but everytime I try to preview, it wants to save as untitledframe-number, even if I saved prior to previewing. ??? trailing numbers always change so its always adding new html files. I was hoping I could make one file for header and one for page content and go from there but thats not the case.
      I even tried using a 1 column fixed width template with header and footer, tried inserting a frame into the top header box by using insert>html>frame and it worked at first, then when I tried previwing later, it relaoded my dw page and lost all the frame code! ???
      Theres got to be a better or easier way to have a top frame only so the header image is always visible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: frames help
          Level 7
          > but its what the boss wants

Ask the boss if he wants it badly enough to accept all of the wrong things
          that come with frames. Rational people would not general elect to do this.
          I'm guessing your boss doesn't know what those serious compromises are,
          though.

> I tried using the frameset template from dw3. I thought I had an
          > understanding
          > of how it works, but everytime I try to preview, it wants to save as
          > untitledframe-number, even if I saved prior to previewing.

That's because you have not enabled PREVIEW USING TEMP FILES in your
          preferences. Without that enabled, you would not be able to preview an
          unsaved page/frameset.

> I was hoping I could make
          > one file for header and one for page content and go from there but thats
          > not
          > the case.

This reveals a lack of understanding of how frames work. You will always
          have n+1 files to save - one for each frame, and one for the frameset file.
          So, your two frame page is really three pages, each of which must be saved
          independently.

Mother Nature is warning you. Pay attention!

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"dellvostro" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gjto8j$eaj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I need to create a page that has one fixed top frame so the header will
          >show no
          > matter how far down the page a visitor scrolls. Im not a fan of frames,
          > but its
          > what the boss wants, so here goes.
          > I tried using the frameset template from dw3. I thought I had an
          > understanding
          > of how it works, but everytime I try to preview, it wants to save as
          > untitledframe-number, even if I saved prior to previewing. ??? trailing
          > numbers
          > always change so its always adding new html files. I was hoping I could
          > make
          > one file for header and one for page content and go from there but thats
          > not
          > the case.
          > I even tried using a 1 column fixed width template with header and
          > footer,
          > tried inserting a frame into the top header box by using insert>html>frame
          > and
          > it worked at first, then when I tried previwing later, it relaoded my dw
          > page
          > and lost all the frame code! ???
          > Theres got to be a better or easier way to have a top frame only so the
          > header
          > image is always visible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          >

• 2. Re: frames help, fix header to top of page
            dellvostro Level 1
            Thanks Murray. I heard css can float a header so it has same effect as frame. Do you have any info or suggestions on this? Im using the dw one column fixed with header and footer css template. Thanks
            • 3. Re: frames help, fix header to top of page
              Level 7
              > Do you have any info

Yes.

> or suggestions on this?

Yes. Don't use it. It may be valuable as an academic exercise, but it's
              not ready for prime time yet.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"dellvostro" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gjuacj$7o9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks Murray. I heard css can float a header so it has same effect as
              > frame. Do you have any info or suggestions on this? Im using the dw one
              > column fixed with header and footer css template. Thanks