• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Learning HTML. HTML5. JavaScript. CCS. Etc..?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently decided I wanted to learn JavaScript, or at least get the gist of what it is and how it works.  The reason I decided this was because of issues I’ve had with creating fillable Acrobat forms as well as other programs that allow JavaScript to be used.  Countless times I’ve Googled how to solve a problem in Acrobat, only to find out it can’t be directly done with the standard software tools, followed by someone in a forum saying  “you have to use JavaScript” in which they provide a series of brackets, indentions, hyphens, etc., which looks like Greek to me.  I often copy and paste their “code” into what I’m working on and lo and behold it calculates exactly what I was wanting it to. 

But I hate not knowing what I am doing, so this is when I decided to learn the fundamentals of JavaScript.  After doing brief research, as I understand it, in order to learn JavaScript, it is best to first learn HTML.  When I google “HTML” or “HTML for beginners” I am bombarded by results with words like HTML, HTML1, HTML4, HTML5, etc..

This brings me to all of my many questions:

1.  Is it better to learn HTML before JavaScript?

2.  Are all the different “versions” of HTML unique (are they each a language unto themselves).

3  Do people have to re-learn HTML every time there is a new version?

4.  When people say “learn HTML”, is that kind of a generic blanket term that includes all versions?

5.  For someone just starting, with absolutely 0 experience in any coding, programing, etc.., how would you recommend that person go about learning the very basics of HTML? (When I search for books on Amazon I get results for HTML, HTML4, HTML5, etc, and I’m afraid of getting a book that is outdated, obsolete, or not relevant.)

The way I envision it as of now, out of complete ignorance, is that I can “learn HTML” and that will give me a foundation for HTML4 or HTML5 or whatever.  And that HTML4, HTML5, and I guess maybe HTML6 if or when it exists are just better codes with more add-ons that can be learned and applied but essentially use the same “language”, formatting, symbols, abbreviations, punctuation, etc..?

Sorry for the long post.  I’ll probably think of more questions and add to it too.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes. HTML is the structure, CSS is the styling and javascript is the bells and whistles
2. No, they're all based off the previous versions. The current standard is HTML5, that's where I would start
3. Nope. Once you understand HTML, new versions typically just add small things that have been missing, and remove old junk we don't use anymore.
4. Usually.
5. HTML5 is the current standard, start there.

I would recommend using the W3schools.com website to get a handle on the basics. They have fairly decent tutorials http://www.w3schools.com/html and their "try it yourself" links allow you to play with the code being discussed at every step, which allows you to see the how and why much easier.

I would suggest learning HTML and CSS (cascading stylesheets) first, they're pretty hard to separate these days. Once you have a good handle on both and how they work together, move on to Javascript. Javascript is more difficult than the other two, but once the other two are under your belt, js makes more sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon.

I do remember seeing w3schools after a google search.  I saw many high praises for it, but also many who strongly warned against it saying it teaches "wrong" or "sloppy" or "outdated" code.

But you know how internet reviews go. There's always those how love it and those who hate it.

I'll start there and see how I like it.

Thanks for all the detailed responses to my questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually the detractors point to an article from 6-7 years ago as the reasoning why you shouldn't use W3Schools as a resource. Others get grumpy because some people associate the W3Schools.com with W3C.org, the official organization behind the HTML and CSS standards (they're not affiliated).

I wouldn't bother with their certifications, but the tutorials can give you a solid understanding of the basics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did mention that you wanted to do things in programs such as Acrobat, and others that support JavaScript. While learning HTML can help you give JavaScript a 'target' to train on, it's not going to help you with Acrobat or any other script supporting app.

You might want to consider skipping HTML itself and from here it really depends if you like video training where you follow along or if you like the code right on the screen. You're right that there are a billion resources for everything online and you'll find that there is no single resource that's best for a beginner.

While I always like to recommend Adobe resources, for learning pure JavaScript, I'd suggest you go to YouTube or a similar video resource and find a JavaScript playlist. Take a quick look at the playlist and see if it requires HTML or not. There are plenty of JavaScript basics tutorials that hand you code to start and walk you right through. NodeJS is an example of a tutorial that, while advanced, does not at all require learning HTML or CSS, depending on the playlist. You can also find tutorials on Acrobat and JS directly but it will be a little bit above your level.

Again, HTML isn't bad and will give you a 'target' to use for learning JavaScript. Also CSS rules are used in much more than just HTML so neither are bad to learn. If you want to go straight for your ultimate pursuit, I'd only say CSS will be ultimately useful. The way you target Acrobat isn't the same as HTML and I'm not sure if you have any other use for learning HTML.

After you get the absolute basics of JavaScript, which are often taught in schools due to ease to learn, you can take those skills and head over to Adobe's site to teach you how to build and control apps like Acrobat with your new JavaScript skills:

JavaScript for Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sinious,

That's a little reassuring to know.  However at this point I've made up my mind to just jump in and make myself learn HTML, JavaScript, and CSS; as they all seem to work together in many instances.  I'm not trying to become an expert or anything, I just hate looking at a "code" and not understanding what all that jargon is.  It bothers me to not understand how things work, especially things I use heavily.

I'm glad to hear that jumping straight into JavaScript is an option.  And yes, frustration with Acrobat Form calculations is what sparked this desire to learn JavaScript, but its now just become a sort of mission I've decided to go on for my own fulfillment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help you on your journey, come back anytime and ask away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks sinous.

I have been jumping between 2 or 3 websites following their beginning HTML and CSS tutorials, and, while I know there is much more I could learn, I have gotten to the point where feel I understand the core concept of how each code works.

I've decided I'm ready to start learning JavaScript, which was my original mission to begin with. However the sites I have been using seem to start off by teaching JavaScript specifically as it relates to and in combination with HTML.

I on the other hand would just like a more "mathematical only" lesson, for lack of a better word.  I'd like to learn just the programing functions of the code as it would be used within Acrobat.  Is it possible to learn JavaScript in this manner?

I know you mentioned in another post that  you "recommend Adobe resources" for learning pure JavaScript.  Can you point me to where or what those sources might be?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Late to the party... but my 2 cents:

1.  Is it better to learn HTML before JavaScript?

Yes, JavaScript is an engine that controls HTML.

2.  Are all the different “versions” of HTML unique (are they each a language unto themselves).

No, they are all very similar. in 2018, learn HTML5 and you will be fine.

3  Do people have to re-learn HTML every time there is a new version?

No, they are essentially the same but speaking generally support different things. Browsers and device support the HTML version so you do not have to redo your site when a new HTML version comes out.

4.  When people say “learn HTML”, is that kind of a generic blanket term that includes all versions?

Yes and no, in 2018 just learn HTML5 and CSS3 and then eventually Javascript and you will be able to do 95% of anything.

5.  For someone just starting, with absolutely 0 experience in any coding, programing, etc.., how would you recommend that person go about learning the very basics of HTML? (When I search for books on Amazon I get results for HTML, HTML4, HTML5, etc, and I’m afraid of getting a book that is outdated, obsolete, or not relevant.)

Don't get an old book. Signup to an HTML5 course at edx.org. They are free and give you videos and samples. Once you have a basis for HTML, JavaScript will come easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines