10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2018 4:38 PM by mglush

Photoshop lagging and freezing

jenniferc22525851 Level 1

My computer is brand new, runs on Windows 10, has 16GB memory etc. When I downloaded the trial version of PS it worked perfectly, now that I've downloaded the full version it lags horribly and keeps freezing when I zoom, rotate or try to change from brush to eraser.

It's not the computer, everything else runs fine. And it's not my graphics tablet or driver as I've tried with a mouse and the trackpad.

I've been through all the troubleshooting suggestions, uninstalled, reinstalled, turning it off and on again, had nothing else running, designated 75% of the memory usage to PS, made sure it's using the graphics processor and running openCL etc.

It's driving me completely mad and I really need it to work smoothly for upcoming deadlines, has anyone had similar issues or might know something I haven't tried yet...?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing

I seem to have resolved the issue by downloading an earlier version of Photoshop if anyone else needs this. With no help from Adobe support, very disappointed in their customer service.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jenniferc22525851  wrote

When I downloaded the trial version of PS it worked perfectly, now that I've downloaded the full version

The trial version is the full version.  The only thing that makes it not a trial is signing in to your account if CC or entering your serial number if CS.

• 3. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing
              mglush Adobe Community Professional

What version did you download as a trial? And what version (if not the same) did you download in the subscription version? If you downloaded a later version, try going back to the previous version and see if you are still having the same issues. It they are different versions, then you might be finding some glitches that need to be woken out.

Don't give up! There are a lot of people here willing to help.

Michelle

• 4. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing

Thank you Michelle! This actually fixed my problem. I just downloaded an older version and it works perfectly fine now. Really appreciate your support!

• 5. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing

Great! thanks for letting me know.

• 6. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing

I forgot to say let us know if you have any other issues!

• 7. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing
                      thiv1974

Hi,

I am having major lagging issues with my Photoshop, as well. I have a new computer with new setups and installs on my work desktop. Here is a brief rundown of my computer specs:

System Model:  Dell Precision Tower 5810

Bios:  A24 (current)

Memory:  16GB

Hard Drive:  240 GB SSD

Peripheral(s):  Cintiq 22HD

I mainly use Photoshop on my Wacom Cintiq22 HD, to sketch with my Wacom pen. Almost every time I type in key commands, on my keyboard, like erase, undo, deselect, etc.. Photoshop just lags like crazy. Some lags are longer then others. I am using Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 from my workplace's computer so I am not sure if loading an older version of Adobe is an option. Is there another option to stopping the lagging issue besides loading a previous version of the Adobe Suite?

**Update**

My IT guy tried to load my computer with a previous version and I am still having lagging issues. I am totally lost!!

• 8. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing
                        ocsaj

unfortunatly this happens to me to on a new laptop

ps is slower then on my 6 years old mac... itried everything adobe support ...lenovo support

the computer is not the issue it works fine

adobe says it is

i as well tried an older version but it didnt help

i have a 4 k monitor ...and a nivida gtx 50

if i disable the card and scale down ,my resolution

ps has the performance i´m used to from my 6 years old mac ...

but this cant be it

graphic card iis working fine

i already exchanged the wohle laptop as it is still in trail period

so if someon e has an idea

i really high appriciate some help

• 9. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing

Hi!

Have you checked to see if their are new drivers for your Cintiq? Do you know if your Cintiq is compatible with your Dell's operating system? If you have been using this for a while, have you upgraded or changed anything before it started lagging?

Michelle

• 10. Re: Photoshop lagging and freezing

ocsah,

What are your PS preferences set to as far as Scratch disk? How much ram and hard disk space on your new computer vs. the old one? What version of PS are your running? How much ram do you have allocated on your new machine?

You shouldn't have to decrease your resolution to work on an image. If you are doing that and it's working fine, then somehow PS isn't getting the support it needs to run.

Let us know what your system and preferences are so we be more effective at helping you.

Thanks,

Michelle