• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding blues to the shadows

Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.When adding blue to the shadows, is this as simple as going to Split Toning and dragging the Hue slider to a blue and boosting the saturation?

2. Is the orange/teal effect just based on adding orange to the highlights under Hue and boosting the saturation?

3. If so, when doing this type of effect regardless if it is orange and teal, or some other color combo, do you typically keep the saturation the same level for both the highlights and the shadows? How do you pick the exact opposite color on the color wheel to create the complimentary color effect, rather then just picking a color with the Hue slider?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes that's exactly how you do that. You can also play with white balance a bit but if you just want shadows changed, modify the shadows tint and saturation in split toning

2. Yes

3. I generally play with the sliders until the result looks good. It depends quite a bit on the subject matter and actual color in the image itself what the optimal tint and saturation values will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Is there an upper limit that you typically use for the saturation level? Just curious because I'm not getting a good look for my image.

2. My shadows are blue and highlights orange with a saturation around 80. Looking at my histogram, my shadows do not show a large amount of blue, but instead there seems to be a large amount near the mids. Why is this?

histogram.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I generally end up around 20 if I do this. It is not really my style but I do employ it once in a while. The way using the split toning is the simplest way to do this bit note that indeed you affect the shadows tones but not the blacks. Blacks are generally unaffected by this just like real highlights are basically unaffected but high midtowns are. There is a variation on this that you can do using the calibration sliders and some tone curves that is shown here that you might actually be looking for: How to Create the Orange and Teal Look in Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines