18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2008 9:00 AM by heathrowe

Rollover problems....

mokean
      I have been fighting it for 3days and nothing works. When i create a rollover in fireworks and preview it, it works great. But when i export it into dreamweaver, it DOES NOT WORK. So i thought i should try doing a simple rollover within Dreamweaver for testing, guess what, it did NOT work. Is there a setting I'm missing within dreamweaver or Fireworks? This is what i did in dreamweaver.
      I went to INSERT-IMAGE OBJECTS-ROLLOVER IMAGE. From the dialog box, i browsed to the original image, then to the rollover image, checked the pre-load rollover image box, entered the alternate text and the URL, and it does not work. Is there a setting between Fireworks and dreamweaver that i'm missing?

I have the Javascript and ActiveX enabled already. If this helps, i am using the CS3 applications on a Mac with OS X.

Thank you for your help.
        • 1. Re: Rollover problems....
          Level 7
          Are you exporting images and HTML from Fireworks?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: Rollover problems....
            mokean Level 1
            Thanks for your response. I am sitting waiting for a solution. So yes! I have tried exporting the images from fireworks which populates an HTML file to be inserted in dreamweaver, but it does not work. All images and links are exported fine, but the rollover effect doesn't work. I have also tried from within dreamweaver by going to WINDOWS-BEHAVIORS.........etc etc.... but still no luck.
            • 3. Re: Rollover problems....
              Level 7
              mokean wrote:
              > Thanks for your response. I am sitting waiting for a solution. So yes! I have
              > tried exporting the images from fireworks which populates an HTML file to be
              > inserted in dreamweaver, but it does not work. All images and links are
              > exported fine, but the rollover effect doesn't work. I have also tried from
              > within dreamweaver by going to WINDOWS-BEHAVIORS.........etc etc.... but still
              > no luck.

Can you upload the file to your website so we can have a look?

--
              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
              • 4. Re: Rollover problems....
                mokean Level 1
                Hi Linda,
                Ok, here is the link to the page with the rollover button that does not work.
                Thanks a bunch for your help.

http://www.theteenvillage.com/index2.php
                • 5. Re: Rollover problems....
                  Level 7
                  The problem is that the js to drive the behavior is missing from the page.
                  IE will throw a js error when you rollover. The solution, really, is to a)
                  stop using the NavBar, and b) stop writing HTML with FW....

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

"mokean" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g3henq$9e6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hi Linda,
                  > Ok, here is the link to the page with the rollover button that does not
                  > work.
                  > Thanks a bunch for your help.
                  >
                  > http://www.theteenvillage.com/index2.php
                  >

• 6. Re: Rollover problems....
                    mokean Level 1
                    Do you have an example of the JS code?
                    • 7. Re: Rollover problems....
                      mokean Level 1
                      I don't know if this helps. But i previewed the page using Firefox instead of Safari and this is the message i see when i view the error window.

Error: MM_findObj is not defined
                      Source File: http://localhost:8888/index2.php
                      Line: 37

Hope this helps
                      • 8. Re: Rollover problems....
                        mokean Level 1
                        For some reason, Dreamweaver is not generating the MM_findObj function. I added it to the other js functions and it works like a miracle. Thanks everyone for your help.

function MM_findObj(n, d) { //v4.01
                        var p,i,x; if(!d) d=document; if((p=n.indexOf("?"))>0&&parent.frames.length) {
                        d=parent.frames[n.substring(p+1)].document; n=n.substring(0,p);}
                        if(!(x=d[n])&&d.all) x=d.all[n]; for (i=0;!x&&i<d.forms.length;i++) x=d.forms [n];
                        for(i=0;!x&&d.layers&&i<d.layers.length;i++) x=MM_findObj(n,d.layers
                        .document);
                        if(!x && d.getElementById) x=d.getElementById(n); return x;
                        }

• 9. Re: Rollover problems....
                          mokean Level 1
                          Does any1 know why dreamweaver would skip generating this function?
                          • 10. Re: Rollover problems....
                            pixlor Level 4
                            If you use Dreamweaver's Insert > Image Objects > Image Rollover, you'll get something that works. Here's the code, but I recommend using DW to make it, because you need the mouseover code on the images, too.
                            • 11. Re: Rollover problems....
                              Level 7
                              A combination of operator error and the use of FW to write your HTML is the
                              only way it could happen.

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

"mokean" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:g3hv4e$p2d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Does any1 know why dreamweaver would skip generating this function?

• 12. Re: Rollover problems....
                                Touranty
                                dreamweaver is very slow but has great functions
                                • 13. Re: Rollover problems....
                                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                                  Murry, do you even use Fireworks???

Every thread I have ever come across with your repsonse in it, outrightly puts down the user for ever even trying.

Who are you to say to someone it is erroneous to use Fw to prototype designs?

DW and FW behaviors (as in this case Rollovers) are IDENTICAL, word for word.

just my 2cents
                                  h
                                  • 14. Re: Rollover problems....
                                    mokean Level 1
                                    Well put Heathrowe.... Right on point. Thanks.
                                    • 15. Re: Rollover problems....
                                      Level 7
                                      Of course I do. I'm also aware that a large percentage of posts on the DW
                                      forums come from people who use FW HTML and get in trouble for it.

Your best practice would be NOT to use it until you can anticipate and
                                      correct the fragilities in it.

I use FW to create GRAPHICS - it's outstanding for this purpose. I do not
                                      use it for anythign else, nor in my opinion, does it make good sense to use
                                      it for any PRODUCTION-LEVEL HTML creation. Wireframing and prototyping is a
                                      completely different thing.

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

"heathrowe" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                      news:g3pc2i$mk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > Murry, do you even use Fireworks???
                                      >
                                      > Every thread I have ever come across with your repsonse in it, outrightly
                                      > puts
                                      > down the user for ever even trying.
                                      >
                                      > Who are you to say to someone it is erroneous to use Fw to prototype
                                      > designs?
                                      >
                                      > DW and FW behaviors (as in this case Rollovers) are IDENTICAL, word for
                                      > word.
                                      >
                                      > just my 2cents
                                      > h
                                      >

• 16. Re: Rollover problems....
                                        So you assume EVERYONE is using it for production purposes?

So you forsee EVERY instance of a post related to html output is being used for production? How gifted you are?

"Your best practice would be NOT to use it until you can anticipate and correct the fragilities in it."

Ridiculous - HOW WILL A USER LEARN IF THEY DON'T TRY IT?
                                        Does everyone start at your expertise/level? I wish I did?

If a Dw user is stuck with a DW Behavior (like Rollover - created in Dw), do you say the same thing? Don't use DW for Production? Dw and Fw are IDENTICAL IN CODE - IOTA FOR IOTA, word for word.

Point is your assumptions for every related html question is no where near the USER LEVEL EXPERIENCE of the one asking the question, yet alone, providing application assistance, of which html output occupies at least a third of FW functionality.

Bottom line, MAKE THE USER FEEL COMFORTABLE AT WHAT THEY ARE DOING (AND TRYING TO ACHIEVE) AT THEIR LEVEL.

If you don't have an answer to the OP workflow question, DON'T SAY ANYTHING. It's that simple.

h

• 17. Re: Rollover problems....
                                          Level 7
                                          > Ridiculous - HOW WILL A USER LEARN IF THEY DON'T TRY IT?
                                          > Does everyone start at your expertise/level? I wish I did?

Start with basics. If you are serious about web development, that's where
                                          you should start anyhow. Learn HTML and CSS. Use FW to make graphics. Use
                                          DW to make HTML. You'll be fine following that path. Using FW to write
                                          HTML for production purposes is a dead-end alley. The HTML is too fragile
                                          to use on a commercial site. Why? Because it's built to EXACTLY reproduce
                                          your graphic layout. To do that, many compromises are made in the structure
                                          of the HTML. As soon as you move away from a static graphic layout and
                                          begin to add content, real content, things fall apart. Sometimes so badly
                                          that you will have to start over.

If you are going to have to start over (this is a good thing, really,
                                          because it's the crucible in which we learn what to do and what not to do),
                                          it's better to start over as close to 'best practice' as you can. That
                                          would mean not using any graphics wizard to write your HTML.

--
                                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                          Adobe Community Expert
                                          ==================
                                          ==================

"heathrowe" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                          news:g3qvvu$okr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          > So you assume EVERYONE is using it for production purposes?
                                          >
                                          > So you forsee EVERY instance of a post related to html output is being
                                          > used
                                          > for production? How gifted you are?
                                          >
                                          > "Your best practice would be NOT to use it until you can anticipate and
                                          > correct the fragilities in it."
                                          >
                                          > Ridiculous - HOW WILL A USER LEARN IF THEY DON'T TRY IT?
                                          > Does everyone start at your expertise/level? I wish I did?
                                          >
                                          > If a Dw user is stuck with a DW Behavior (like Rollover - created in Dw),
                                          > do
                                          > you say the same thing? Don't use DW for Production? Dw and Fw are
                                          > IDENTICAL
                                          > IN CODE - IOTA FOR IOTA, word for word.
                                          >
                                          > Point is your assumptions for every related html question is no where near
                                          > the
                                          > USER LEVEL EXPERIENCE of the one asking the question, yet alone, providing
                                          > application assistance, of which html output occupies at least a third of
                                          > FW
                                          > functionality.
                                          >
                                          > Bottom line, MAKE THE USER FEEL COMFORTABLE AT WHAT THEY ARE DOING (AND
                                          > TRYING
                                          > TO ACHIEVE) AT THEIR LEVEL.
                                          >
                                          > If you don't have an answer to the OP workflow question, DON'T SAY
                                          > ANYTHING.
                                          > It's that simple.
                                          >
                                          > h
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >

• 18. Re: Rollover problems....
                                            Fine and dandy, understood, and I agree with you...

..again, my point is you TELL EVERYONE IS IN ERROR for using it without ever knowing weather it's used for prototype or production. Folks here ask for assitance , How do I,, Where is..., Why is... etc, your ONLY ANSWER is to forget it, your wasting your time.

Don't you get it! Your so far up in the expert cloud it's your only answer!!!!! How hard is that to grasp??????? Why not just say NOTHING at all if you have no assistance?

h