3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2018 5:45 AM by norman.sanders

Infared/Negative Effect

darrek57176773

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help in creating a certain effect. I'm not 100% sure how to describe it which is why I've probably had no success finding a tutorial.

I've attached a sample image the effect I want. Taking a headshot and stylising it like an infared/3d image (how you see 3d it without glasses on).

Thank youTracey-Thorn3-1-790x790.jpg

• 1. Re: Infared/Negative Effect
          norman.sanders Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Comp.png

Open a file (Fig 1), duplicate the layer and Image > Adjustments > Black & White  ... (Fig 2)

Image > Adjustments > Posterize ... 2 levels* turn off bottom layer, then

Double click to bring up Layer Style. Blend if.. move top right slider slightly left to create transparent background Fig 3)

Lock the transparent area (lock symbol appears in Layers panel) and Edit > Fill with Magenta. Blending mode: Multiply

Duplicate the layer and Edit > Fill with Cyan (don't forget to lock transparency. Blending mode: Multiply

Duplicate the layer and Edit > Fill with Yellow Cyan (don't forget to lock transparency. Blending mode: Multiply

Use the Move tool to reposition the layers left and right

Add a blank layer below the three color layers and Edit > Fill with white

Choose a cream color and use the Gradient tool, dragged vertically, to produce the background vignette

*You may find that Posterize is a tad too harsh for your design. In that case use Image > Adjustments > Levels, for this type of result:

levels.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Infared/Negative Effect
            darrek57176773 Level 1

Thank you very much!

When I get to the edit>fill part it's still filling the transparent parts of the face, etc even though I have locked 'transparent pixels' on the layers palette for this layer? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?01.jpeg

• 3. Re: Infared/Negative Effect
              norman.sanders Adobe Community Professional & MVP

comp.png

This may help:

Fig 1... Your high contrast image on a white surround.

Fig 2... Transparent layer below it.  Blend if applied to the image layer

Fig 3... Choose Layer > Merge Down

Lock the transparent area

Good luck!