Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Object and Filter Workflow Question

Participant ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have been using Topaz or Nik Collections as smart filters in Photoshop and I have a question about non-destructive editing and whether or not there is a better workflow to the one described below

1. Open image, usually from LR
  2. Add layers to adjust my image non-destructively
  3. Create a composite layer above all my adjustments
  4. Change my new layer into a Smart Object and use on or more smart filters from either Topaz or NIK

So far this is all working and I am happy with it. The question now comes when I decide to go back and amend from of my adjustments. I do the following

1. Make the required adjustments
  2. Create a new composite layer which includes my later adjustments
  3. Convert the new composite layer into a smart object
  4. Copy the original smart filters from #4 above
  5. Delete the original smart object

This works but gets a little tedious if I decide to visit my adjustments often and it gets really tedious if I make further adjustments using layers above my smart object as I end up with multiple composite layers and multiple smart objects.

Hopefully I have described my workflow adequately for you to be able to advise.

Thank you for your help.

Regards, Ian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Yes - just double click on the smart object in the layers panel to open it and a psb document will open with all your original layers intact. Adjust them and close the psb - you will be prompted to save - do so. That will update the smart object.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you not convert the Layers themselves to a Smart Object and open and edit that as necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry but I do not understand, please could you explain a little further. If it helps I've pasted the layers from my image. Thank you for your help.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 20.09.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of creating a composite layer just select all the layers, click on first and shift click on last, then convert them to a single smart object

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still non-destructive? Once I've clicked on all the layers and created a single smart object can I then go back to my individual adjustments?

Thank you for your help.

Regards, Ian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - just double click on the smart object in the layers panel to open it and a psb document will open with all your original layers intact. Adjust them and close the psb - you will be prompted to save - do so. That will update the smart object.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, that worked a treat, thank you for your patience

Regards, Ian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines