3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2008 11:11 AM by Necromanthus

shadows

Dr_Vangeldor Level 1
      Is there away of having or at least faking shadows in shockwave 3d?
      I have seen some games where there is at least some type of shadow.
      What are some methods people are using out there to fake shadows if not generate them?
      thanks
        • 1. Re: shadows
          _lw Level 1
          There are different ways to create shadows (baking shadows, using simple planes with alphachannel that are placed over the ground, using a flat scaled geometry to put it under a model, in some situaltions you can render realtime shadows on the fly...).
          Can you try to explain a bit more specific what you want to do?

• 2. Re: shadows
            Dr_Vangeldor Level 1
            Hi,
            I understand now about including prerendered shadows in walls and floors textures. Thats fine.
            I understand now i think about putting flat alpha planes underneath objects although i am not sure how to keep the shadow on the ground even if the character jumps in air or turns around. In what situations can you do the realtime shadows you mention? i wanted to create a first person shooter. I am trying to research my options before dealving in all the way.
            Thanks
            • 3. Re: shadows
              Necromanthus Level 2
              quote:

Originally posted by: Dr Vangeldor
              In what situations can you do the realtime shadows you mention? i wanted to create a first person shooter.

Realtime shadows in the current SW3D engine is out of question (due to a huge processing power demand)
              Well ... if your first person shooter contains only 8 boxes and 6 planes, you can give a shot.