Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animated gif loops 2 times when set to 3

Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I have this problem occur randomly. I create a lot of ads in Photoshop as animated GIFs. According to specifications they have to loop 3 times and total animation must not exceed 30 seconds. So, I make the content distributed in three frames and then, set the loops. The problem is, I set the loop to 3 times, but then, the exported GIF only loops twice when we review the image in the browser.

If I set it to 4 times, it loops 3 times.

How can I get this working? It used to work just fine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any examples you can post.  Why would the problem be random?  Random on all machines and all your gif?  Would be a very odd thing IMO!

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for replying. As random as: Me and my workmate haven't been able to see what causes this, as sometimes happens, sometimes it doesn't - even exporting from a same document making some text changes, for instance. The first export will loop 3 times when set to 4, and the next export of the same document will loop 4 times.

This banner is set to loop 3 times; you should see the "RESERVA YA" button three times, then the animation stops and doesn't play anymore. The third one the buttons appears, the image is fixed to the last frame.

When I preview the banner it loops only two times. It stops after the second loop, not the third.

300x250.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clutching at straws, but I wonder if it is linked to individual frame times.  If the last frame is set with a pause, and it messes up the loop timing for instance.   A total long shot, but I am struggling to think of anything better.

Have you tried different computers and browsers?  Are you testing them from memory or via a web link?  i.e. is the file still downloading at the end of the first loop and causing an issue?  Ten seconds per loop sounds reasonably lengthy.  What is the resolution, number of frames, and file size?  Just throwing some stuff out there, but it might trigger an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for adding up to the topic!

It happens across different computers and operating systems. A couple of Windows computers and Macs. We usually export from Photoshop to a folder and then upload them to Microsoft Sharepoint, so the files are distributed to other departments.

But essentially, it is the same file exported from Photoshop that in occasions gets exported OK, ie. loops three times correctly. But on other occasions it doesn't - the same exact file, modified a while after!.

It looks like a bug and there is no logic after it all, so i wanted to share it, out of ideas. The setting I use is the one provided in the Timeline panel, you can choose any number of loops and we always use to make a 9 seconds animation in three or more frames. But sometimes it starts doing this: it loops one time less that I set it.

The banner uploaded in this topic, for instance, loops twice for me, but it is set up to loop 3 times. Do you see it loop 2 or 3 times, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Created some gifs that should loop 3 times, then tested them on Chrome. The loop repeats exactly one time less that specified - tried make 4 loops and it loops 3 times.

Then I tried viewing it on Firefox and the loop is ok. So the problem seems to be on Chrome's side as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a problem with a animatedgif you should post the animated gif so others can have a look at it or them or some example of your problem. Even better would be posting the layered document they were made from.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to this. I posted my animated gif and the problem, apparently, is not in the file itself. My gifs are perfectly fine configurated in Photoshop, but randomly, the exported file will reproduce the wrong quantity of loops accross many computers.

Furthermore it will happen in a .gif file exported from a .psd file that was exporting just fine before.

It would be worth posting this in some Chrome Community if it weren't because it also happens in other browsers such as Firefox.

I would like to post the image but .zip or .psd files are not allowed and there is no Dropbox Public box anymore But is nothing so fancy, just a simple gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you posted the animated gif in your append here many users here would be viewing your gif in chrome and if there is not problem in the file it will animate three time.   .gif is allowed here.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! I posted it before in this reply This was one of the offending ads. But now it loops 3x. Whenever I come across another case I'll upload it again no doubt. This is a really hard to catch bug that is driving us crazy when it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We had a new case just today. In todays case…

• The .PSD file contains many artboards to produce different banner sizes using sectors. The file is set to loop 3 times an animation of 4 frames.
  • Mac computers in the Office (OS Sierra 10.12.6) will reproduce the animation 3 times, then stop in the last frame correctly. Using Chrome latest version.
  • PC machines with Windows 10 see the call to action button two times, not three, then the animation stops.  They used the Photos app and Chrome latest version (both logged in and /or incognito mode).
  • When I set the animation to loop 4 times, they see it loop 3 times. I see it repeating 4 times as I set it up.

This is one of the ads. It is set to loop 3 times. They see it loop twice, I see it 3 times. We're just puzzled.

300x250.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines