• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Greyed out images in lightroom

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import images in Lightroom they are greyed out.If i go into develop and pick a greyed out image it shows on the screen and i can work on it.When it returns to the library it is again grayed out.This has only happen very recently .The rest of the catalog is fine and all correct.Have tried importing  nef DNG and jpeg files all to the same result .Cant see any way of actually get information from abobe so any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

The gray previews are caused by a defective monitor profile, and the brownish tint in the gray areas of the histogram is also an indication of this. Windows 10 is known to install bad monitor profiles when doing updates, which is probably what happened to you.

To fix the problem, calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator, which will create a profile that accurately describes your monitor.

If you don't have a calibrator, set the monitor profile to sRGB (Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grayed out images in the Import dialog window mean those images are already imported into the catalog.

As for grayed out images in the Library module could you post a screen shot of this. Please show the Full LR Library window not just a part of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sreggog  wrote

When I import images in Lightroom they are greyed out.If i go into develop and pick a greyed out image it shows on the screen and i can work on it.When it returns to the library it is again grayed out.

This isn't really clear to me what you are describing. You first talk about Import, then develop, then Library module. Can you show us screen captures of what you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

sreggog   wrote

When I import images in Lightroom they are greyed out.If i go into develop and pick a greyed out image it shows on the screen and i can work on it.When it returns to the library it is again grayed out.

This isn't really clear to me what you are describing. You first talk about Import, then develop, then Library module. Can you show us screen captures of what you are seeing?

An image that is flagged as 'Rejected' is greyed out in the library. You can still edit it normally in the develop module however. And when you return to the library grid it would still be greyed out.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sreggog  wrote

When I import images in Lightroom they are greyed out.If i go into develop and pick a greyed out image it shows on the screen and i can work on it.When it returns to the library it is again grayed out.This has only happen very recently .The rest of the catalog is fine and all correct.Have tried importing  nef DNG and jpeg files all to the same result .Cant see any way of actually get information from abobe so any help would be appreciated.

If you mean that your images are greyed out in the Library after you've imported them, then most likely you have flagged them as 'Rejected' (black flag with an 'X'). Maybe you added this to a metadata preset that you apply on import...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strator  wrote

Hello. I have been able to correct with phone support.

Can you tell us what the problem was?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library view.JPGDevelop view.JPGHi Folks sorry about the layout first time ive tried this .The image at the top is what I have in the library after i imported the pictures.The below image is in the develop screen where i can see the photo and work on it .Then if I return to the Library screen it still looks like the above..Hope tha explains things a bit better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It look like the Previews aren't being created. Try Deleting the Previews folder which is found in the same folder as the LR catalog you are using. Have LR closed when you do this. The next time you open LR the Previews folder and subfolders will be recreated.

You can also try resetting the LR preferences.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gray previews are caused by a defective monitor profile, and the brownish tint in the gray areas of the histogram is also an indication of this. Windows 10 is known to install bad monitor profiles when doing updates, which is probably what happened to you.

To fix the problem, calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator, which will create a profile that accurately describes your monitor.

If you don't have a calibrator, set the monitor profile to sRGB (Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor).

This will not be entirely accurate, but may be close enough, depending on your requirements.

Go to Control panel > Color management.

Add the sRGB profile and set it as Default.

Make sure Use my settings for this device is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect & thank you, i fixed

trieun74330469_0-1688273845067.png

my problem ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks

Thank you all for your help re my problem.I deleted the previews folder  attached to this catalog and on reopening Lightroom all my images are now visible.

Thanks for your help and i will keep all your suggestions in mind for my next problem .

Bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems that you had two problems - a corrupted preview cache, and a broken monitor profile.

To fix the monitor profile, follow the directions given above.

Your histograms probably still have the brownish cast in the  areas that should be neutral gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going crazy trying to figure out why recently I could see images in develop mode just fine but not all images in loupe or grid view. Image would literally appear and disappear intermittently.

So after resetting preferences, updating drivers, changing video settings, etc., I found your post about defective color profiles. After recalibrating, all is well again.

Too bad Adobe didn't explain it was a defective color profile. All they say to do is associate an sRGB profile to my color calibrated wide gamut monitor which was certainly not an option for me!

So thanks again for clarifying the issue about defective color profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All they say to do is associate an sRGB profile to my color calibrated wide gamut monitor

Was that something a customer-service rep told you or something written in Adobe docs?  Assigning sRGB to your display is a quick way of determining if your profile is incompatible or corrupt, but obviously not a permanent solution: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listed as "solution", not diagnosis,  at Adobe link

Photos appear as black, gray, or blank rectangles in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I submitted a bug report on that help article: Lightroom: Bad advice about display profiles in Adobe help article | Photoshop Family Customer Commu... . Please click Me Too in the upper-right corner of that bug report. In contrast to bug reports about the program itself, Adobe usually corrects wrong documentation relatively quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another reason for Greyed image in Library. I had accidentally marked a bunch as rejcted (pressed the X key). The solution was to Unflag them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines