• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert to Profile and keep layers

Participant ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm converting my image with many layers from one color profile to another, but in order to do so properly, Photoshop flattens the layers. If I disable the option to not flatten the layers, it seems that only selected layer is converted and the overall look is bad.

Is there a way to convert image to another profile and keep layers intact?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem not to have provided the relevant information.

Which Color Spaces exactly are you talking about?

Which exact kinds of Layers are you talking about?

Please post screenshots including the pertinent Panels.

If you are talking about converting to a different Color Mode (for example RGB to CMYK) then you have to accustom yourself to the fact that certain Adjustment Layers, Blend Mode results, transparency settings, … do not produce the same resulting appearance or are even impossible in the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My image is set to ProPhoto RGB and I want to convert it to Adobe RGB (1998) - Edit > Convert to Profile

At the bottom of the Convert to Profile dialogue, there's an option Flatten Image to Preserve Appearance, which should be selected for the best results if image has more than one layer. If the image has more layers, only selected layer seems that will be converted and not the whole image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you asking how to make a composite layer while keeping the individual layers, the command is: cmd+opt+shift+E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, as I said, I just want to convert profile of the whole image/file, while keeping all layers as they are. I don’t want to flatten/merge layers as that’s destructive and I cannot edit them later.

Basically I want to keep the file as it is, but convert it to another profile so my colors better matches with my printer profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same RGB Adjustment (a Curves Layer for examplle) can produce different resulting appearance in different Color Spaces, even when both are the same Color Mode.

So it is prudent to start with the correct Color Space right away but alternatively one can convert the Layers (or at least some Layers) to a Smart Object and convert the containing document to the other Color Space – though whether that makes sense in your workflow I can’t tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, thanks, I'll try that and see how it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to this do manually/via an action… however it is probably best performed via a script:

* Start at the lowest/back layer then Layer > Duplicate Layer to new document

* Switch to new document, convert to profile

* Switch back to original document, select the next up/forward layer, Duplicate Layer to the new document (which retains layer name, blend mode and opacity) and offers to convert from source to destination colour space

* Repeat as required for all remaining layers, which is why a script would be better as it could just loop through all layers

As previously stated, this may not look the same as the previous file, but the layer structure and blend modes opacities etc. would be the same – for what that is worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is adjustment layers. The numbers will just mean someting else in a different color space, and there's no way to keep appearance without changing the numbers.

I you have to convert the document, I'd just convert without flattening, and redo the adjustments. But I really have a problem understanding why this should be necessary or even desirable. It's a master document, and it can be any color space it likes. Conversion isn't necessary until final output - and then you need to flatten anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is also for pixel layers too, as demonstrated below (ProPhoto vs. Adobe RGB) – if there is transparency or blend modes, results will not be visually accurate:

layers.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just ran into this problem and found the solution.

You can convert the profile without flattening layers.

When you convert the profile there is an option to "Flattten Image to Preserve Appearance"  Just uncheck the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines