12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2008 5:45 PM by Newsgroup_User

Can not link

SERocks
      Hi I am trying to make a link on a Swf page using the link text. I typed the work ENTER then added my URL link address, but I can not get the link to work the pointer will change to the finger but nothing happens when I click on it. What did I miss?
        • 1. Re: Can not link
          Level 7
          SERocks wrote:
          > Hi I am trying to make a link on a Swf page using the link text. I typed the
          > work ENTER then added my URL link address, but I can not get the link to work
          > the pointer will change to the finger but nothing happens when I click on it.
          > What did I miss?
          >

You can't link active content the same way you link images (png,gif,jpg).
          The link needs to be placed within the SWF itself, using button or global
          mouse event in conjunction with getURL action.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Can not link
            SERocks Level 1
            HI,
            Can you give me a link to an example how to implement this? I thought I was doing as you suggested. I entered the text in the Swf background in 1 of the layers. And the mouse does change when the text appears. Just nothing happens. As I read the help files they show me code to make things happen but do see how to tie them together. IF you can send me a link to any of the Adobe video tuts you think would help explain this that would be great.
            Thanks
            • 3. Re: Can not link
              Level 7
              SERocks wrote:
              > HI,
              > Can you give me a link to an example how to implement this? I thought I was
              > doing as you suggested. I entered the text in the Swf background in 1 of the
              > layers. And the mouse does change when the text appears. Just nothing happens.
              > As I read the help files they show me code to make things happen but do see how
              > to tie them together. IF you can send me a link to any of the Adobe video tuts
              > you think would help explain this that would be great.
              > Thanks

Draw shape on stage, small shape in size (example) - 20x20 pixels.
              Select that shape and hit F8 (to create new symbol) and make a movie clip out of it.
              Select with mouse the newly made movie clip and hit CTRL F3 to open properties panel.
              In that panel look for box with <instance name>, in that box type : link_button

Now select timeline frame, hit F9 to open action editor and paste in there:

link_button.onRelease = function() {
              getURL(" http://www.adobe.com", "_blank");
              };

You have getURL action with done.

You can use the transform tool (key Q) to stretch the movie clip to cover the stage size.
              As big is the clip, that big will be the LINK area.
              You can then open the properties panel again and set its Alpha to 0% (under COLOR menu) so
              it becomes invisible.

Side Note!
              Why draw it small?
              Good practice for the future Flash use. If you draw something very small and scale it up,
              it will not increase the file size, regardless how much you scale it up, it will remain the
              size of its original format. While one simple button won't make difference on the final SWF
              upon export, a complex project with lots of content will. So it's a good idea to get use to
              it from the very beginning :)

--
              Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
              </urami>
              • 4. Re: Can not link
                SERocks Level 1
                HI,
                I tried what you suggested and still can not get the link to work. Perhapses there is another way.
                What I really wanted to do was when someone takes this link I wanted the Swf to run then go on to another HTML page. If this is easer you can give me instructions on how to do that. I would prefer not to use a link button here unless I have to.
                Thanks
                • 5. Re: Can not link
                  Level 7
                  SERocks wrote:
                  > HI,
                  > I tried what you suggested and still can not get the link to work. Perhapses
                  > there is another way.
                  > What I really wanted to do was when someone takes this link I wanted the Swf
                  > to run then go on to another HTML page. If this is easer you can give me
                  > instructions on how to do that. I would prefer not to use a link button here
                  > unless I have to.
                  > Thanks
                  >

Place just the getURL action on last frame of the movie.

On top of the animation add new layer, totally blank layer. Use it to keep your actions on it.
                  On that layer, select last frame and hit F7 to enter new blank frame. Hit F9 to open action editor
                  and paste:

stop();

--
                  Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
                  </urami>
                  • 6. Re: Can not link
                    SERocks Level 1
                    Hi,
                    OK I gave it a try and I am getting this compiler error when I try to run or publish

1180: Call to a possibly undefined method getURL.

on what ever line /frame I put it on.

http://www.woodstockwineandcheese.com/lot.swf
                    Here is a link so you can see what I am doing. After the VW comes in to the lot it stops, I want the movie to run once and then cut to the link http://www.woodstockwineandcheese.com/more1.html. The movie runs in a loop which I will have to find what is keeping the movie in the mode. I thought I had disabled all the looping but There must be more somewhere.
                    Thank you

• 7. Re: Can not link
                      Level 7
                      SERocks wrote:
                      > Hi,
                      > OK I gave it a try and I am getting this compiler error when I try to run or
                      > publish
                      >
                      > 1180: Call to a possibly undefined method getURL.
                      >
                      > on what ever line /frame I put it on.

change export to AS2.0 not 3.0

--
                      Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
                      </urami>
                      • 8. Re: Can not link
                        SERocks Level 1
                        HI,
                        That got it. The swf runs and then links to the next page. Can you tell me the best way to delay the launch of the link?
                        As it is right now the swf runs do quick your not able to catch it before the link launches. I have it set to launch in the same window. I would like the swf to run delay 3-5 seconds then launch to the next page. Is this just a matter of adding more frames before the last frame that launches the link or is there a better way?
                        This is the newest peice of SW in my CS3 suite ( PS, FW,DW, and now FLASH) a lot to learn. Unless your not allowed to refer, is there a good tut/reference book out there for Flash and AS?
                        Thank you for all your help.
                        Mark
                        • 9. Re: Can not link
                          SERocks Level 1
                          HI
                          I found why it was launching so quickly. If you have any input on the rest of my question that would be great.
                          Thanks
                          • 10. Re: Can not link
                            Level 7
                            SERocks wrote:
                            > HI,
                            > That got it. The swf runs and then links to the next page. Can you tell me the
                            > best way to delay the launch of the link?
                            > As it is right now the swf runs do quick your not able to catch it before the
                            > link launches. I have it set to launch in the same window. I would like the swf
                            > to run delay 3-5 seconds then launch to the next page. Is this just a matter of
                            > adding more frames before the last frame that launches the link or is there a
                            > better way?

Seem like the action is attach to a wrong frame. Keep in mind, if timeline has (example)
                            100 frames and you select frame 50 to insert an action, the action will be placed on frame 1.
                            The first available blank frame. You have to manually add blank frame and attach the action
                            to it in the place on timeline you wish that action to execute. That could be the reason
                            why it gets ahead of your playback.

Anyway, to delay something in flash, you could use the "setTimeout"

setTimeout(f,5000); //
                            function f(){
                            }

5000 milisec = 5 sec
                            If you want 8 seconds, change it to 8000

> This is the newest peice of SW in my CS3 suite ( PS, FW,DW, and now FLASH) a
                            > lot to learn. Unless your not allowed to refer, is there a good tut/reference
                            > book out there for Flash and AS?

It was long since I looked into any Flash AS book. But, all time favorites and really well
                            written were always books by Colin Moock. Colin has been around ever since I can remember.
                            He has very nice way of introducing users to Action Script, easing them in and slowly moving
                            them into more intermediate level. Give it try, just google his name and you should come across
                            the his books.

--
                            Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
                            </urami>
                            • 11. Re: Can not link
                              SERocks Level 1
                              HI,
                              Thank you for your reply. You should be commended for your diligence in following through on your problem tickets. Been in service over 20 years and so few follow threw to resolution. I thank you. I have a few questions in other forums and after they respond one or twice they go unanswered. Anyway you are right that is what I found to be the case, the action was starting on the first frame. Once I corrected that the swf played out and then opened to the page.
                              I used a few frames to delay the end but I like what you have shown me here and will use this in the script.
                              Thank you for so much help and the reference tip I will look them up.
                              Peace,
                              Mark
                              • 12. Re: Can not link
                                Level 7
                                SERocks wrote:
                                > HI,
                                > Thank you for your reply. You should be commended for your diligence in
                                > following through on your problem tickets. Been in service over 20 years and so
                                > few follow threw to resolution. I thank you. I have a few questions in other
                                > forums and after they respond one or twice they go unanswered. Anyway you are
                                > right that is what I found to be the case, the action was starting on the first
                                > frame. Once I corrected that the swf played out and then opened to the page.
                                > I used a few frames to delay the end but I like what you have shown me here
                                > and will use this in the script.
                                > Thank you for so much help and the reference tip I will look them up.
                                > Peace,
                                > Mark
                                >

Thanks you for your kind word and you most welcome Mark :)

Have a nice day!

--
                                Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
                                </urami>