• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to handle level differences between individual and multi-volume indexes?

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Framemaker 13, I have an index as a part of each book and a master index for a meta-book that contains all of my files. The indexes are all working properly. The one thing I can't figure out is if there is a way to have an index entry that is at one level in an individual book, appear at a different level in master index without adding unneeded levels (see Book B below) in the individual books.

Here's an example (with my apologies to vegetarians and vegans):

• Book A index:

dairy cattle

Guernsey n

Holstein n

Jersey n

meat cattle

Angus n

Braford n

Texon n

• Book B index

breeding n

feeding n

milking n

• Master index (desired result):

dairy cattle

breeding B-n

feeding B-n

Guernsey A-n

Holstein A-n

Jersey A-n

milking B-n

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I know it's possible because I just checked my master IX file & I see a subject like "Reporting" which virtually every module in our system has some mention of in each of the 26 sub-books that make it up, but how it's done, I really have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to set the volume numbering on books A and B, then use the <$volnum> variable on the reference page of your master index to accomplish this.

You'll need to regenerate all the individual and master indexes individually each time you want to update index content.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, it isn't the numbering that is the issue; I have the volume numbers working correctly. The issue is whether there is some automatic way to avoid using levels in the individual index but get them to use a level in the combined index. For example, in Book B I would need to use "dairy cattle: breeding" in the Index Marker to get the correct result in the desired version of the master index. If Book B is solely about dairy cattle it doesn't make sense to include that first level in the Book B index.

The only thing I could think of is to make the Index Markers conditional and then Hide/Show them based on which index I'm generating. Is there an easier method than using conditional tags?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, now I see that the second example has only 1st level entries. Sorry 'bout that.

I agree with your assessment...conditional tags would be the logical way to handle this.

If you're looking for a hack, however, you could set Book B's 1st level entries to 2pt. white text, and set the 2nd level entries to a 0" left indent.

By adjusting the space 'tween entries, you should be able to closely match the look of the other docs.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines