6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2018 7:11 AM by vs8080230

ERROR ITMS-90161

vs8080230

Hi.  I have searched this specific error on the forum but it returned no results, so here goes.

I have built an app using Phone Gap Build, and OpenSSL on a Windows machine.. Everything seems to have gone well without a problem, the verification and provisioning on the Apple Dev site all seemed to go okay, and the app built without any errors in Phone Gap Build.  I have downloaded and am testing the Android apk which is working fine.  The ipa build also goes okay, but when I try to upload the ipa using the Apple uploader I get the error "ERROR ITMS-90161:  "Invalid Provisioning profile....."  The error goes on to say "A Distribution Provsioning Profile should be used when submitting apps to the App Store."  See below (sorry I have to blur the actual app name etc, as it is for a client.)

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 13.57.15.png

The thing is that this is not a distribution app, it is a development version for beta testing and has been set up certificated and provisioned as a development app on the Apple Dev site, so I don't understand why I am getting the message about a 'Distribution' profile.

Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: ERROR ITMS-90161
          jcesarmobile_ Adobe Community Professional

You can only upload distribution apps to the App Store/iTunes Connect, even if they are just test build to be tested using testflight.
          For sending development builds you can use other sites like diawi

• 2. Re: ERROR ITMS-90161
            vs8080230 Level 1

Hi.  Thanks for your quick reply.  Does that mean, when I am doing the certification and provisioning on the Apple Dev site, that I should choose "Production" rather than "Development" in both cases, first when I upload my .certSigningRequest  file and then subsequently the .mobileprovision file? Kind of unituitive if so, but if you could confirm that I have understood you correctly I would be grateful

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: ERROR ITMS-90161

Yes, if you want to upload the app to iTunes Connect you have to create the Distribution certificate and Production provisioning profile

• 4. Re: ERROR ITMS-90161
                vs8080230 Level 1

Okay, thanks.  Just out of interest, how does Apple know that you want only to upload the app for beta testing, not to go into the store until testing is complete?

• 5. Re: ERROR ITMS-90161

Apple doesn't know if you upload it for testing or for release, but they don't review it unless you send it to the app store, before submitting it you can upload all the builds you want, but you have to choose one and submit it before it being published, they will only review that one.

• 6. Re: ERROR ITMS-90161
                    vs8080230 Level 1

Okay, thanks for your help with all of this.  I really appreciate it.

There is so much stuff out there when you Google for a specific issue like this with almost as many suggestions for a solution :-)  Your answers have resolved it very clearly.