7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2018 12:07 PM by JJMack

photoshop froze(halfway) while working, now says not enough room to dock and preferences are gone!?

SwampLilly925

I have been using Photoshop CC 2018 pretty heavily the past week, and it has been working fine, if a little slow, the entire time. I just assumed i downloaded a few too many new apps, and deleted a few, thought that would solve some of the minor lagginess. But as i was retouching a photo with my touch pen, it stopped registering the touch to use the clone stamp. I closed the photo after saving (yes, it let me save, and click on things, it just wouldn't edit the photo, everything else was fine) Then when i tried to reopen the photo it said "couldn't complete your request because there isn't enough room to dock it on this monitor.Try turning off Open Documents as Tabs in the workspace preference panel" i tried looking for it, but i could not find preferences ANYWHERE in the entire thing. I even looked for help files here on the site and couldn't find anything similar, though i did find one that told me where to find preferences. Only, it wasn't where i read that it should be, and i couldn't figure out how to make preferences visible again, and had to completely restart my computer. Then it worked for a little while ,and as soon as i started having the same problem again where it stopped editing the photo, i just did a restart again so i wouldn't have to mess with it forever and lose time. I'm in a rush to get 3 projects done by Monday morning and i really need this problem solved before adobe's customer service opens up on Monday at 9am. that's too late for me. this program isn't behaving properly and i don't know what's going on.Has anyone ever had this problem before? i shouldn't be having problems with this computer. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo flex 5 w/ 1 TB of memory and an i5 processor and it was purchased brand new about 6 months ago. I installed the adobe creative cloud about a month ago when i purchased a year's access, and have been using illustrator and Photoshop ever since on an almost daily basis. Since my computer is a touch screen convertible laptop, i also have a digital pen (Lenovo's flex pen) that i use heavily. I don't know what else to do other than to ask if one of you knows what to do before the weekend is up because adobe's customer service is only open M-F from 9am-5pm. I can't contact them until it is too late for my projects and that would be a real blow to my gpa. Yes, i replaced the battery in both my pen and my mouse, so it's not that either. Those wouldn't make PS refuse to dock a photo tab like that, i don't think ( would they?) Even when i restart it, the preferences tab that's supposed to be in the edit menu is never there, nor is it anywhere in the entire prog.

• 1. Re: photoshop froze(halfway) while working, now says not enough room to dock and preferences are gone!?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

It sound like you do not know how to use Photoshop or Photoshop help and my need a new pair of glasses.

Capture.jpg.

• 2. Re: photoshop froze(halfway) while working, now says not enough room to dock and preferences are gone!?
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

SwampLilly925  wrote

I have been using Photoshop CC 2018 pretty heavily the past week, and it has been working fine, if a little slow, the entire time. I just assumed i downloaded a few too many new apps, and deleted a few, thought that would solve some of the minor lagginess. But as i was retouching a photo with my touch pen, it stopped registering the touch to use the clone stamp. I closed the photo after saving (yes, it let me save, and click on things, it just wouldn't edit the photo, everything else was fine) Then when i tried to reopen the photo it said "couldn't complete your request because there isn't enough room to dock it on this monitor.Try turning off Open Documents as Tabs in the workspace preference panel" i tried looking for it, but i could not find preferences ANYWHERE in the entire thing. I even looked for help files here on the site and couldn't find anything similar, though i did find one that told me where to find preferences. Only, it wasn't where i read that it should be, and i couldn't figure out how to make preferences visible again, and had to completely restart my computer. Then it worked for a little while ,and as soon as i started having the same problem again where it stopped editing the photo, i just did a restart again so i wouldn't have to mess with it forever and lose time. I'm in a rush to get 3 projects done by Monday morning and i really need this problem solved before adobe's customer service opens up on Monday at 9am. that's too late for me. this program isn't behaving properly and i don't know what's going on.Has anyone ever had this problem before? i shouldn't be having problems with this computer. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo flex 5 w/ 1 TB of memory and an i5 processor and it was purchased brand new about 6 months ago. I installed the adobe creative cloud about a month ago when i purchased a year's access, and have been using illustrator and Photoshop ever since on an almost daily basis. Since my computer is a touch screen convertible laptop, i also have a digital pen (Lenovo's flex pen) that i use heavily. I don't know what else to do other than to ask if one of you knows what to do before the weekend is up because adobe's customer service is only open M-F from 9am-5pm. I can't contact them until it is too late for my projects and that would be a real blow to my gpa. Yes, i replaced the battery in both my pen and my mouse, so it's not that either. Those wouldn't make PS refuse to dock a photo tab like that, i don't think ( would they?) Even when i restart it, the preferences tab that's supposed to be in the edit menu is never there, nor is it anywhere in the entire prog.

I  hate to sound picky, but it is way too hard trying to pick anything from your solid block of text.  I honestly _tried_ to read it, but soon gave up, and it sounds like JJ didn't fare much better judging from his 'glasses' comment.

If you don't get an answer, try again, but please be concise.  We need to know:

Photoshop version?       I got CC2018

Operating system?         Windows 10

Are you using a tablet?

An adequate description of your issue?

When it started and if the problem coincides with other events, like an update?

What you have done to fix it so far?

Or you could just try resetting Preferences. If you can find Preferences, you'll need to revert to the original method of resetting.  Shut down Photoshop, and hold down Alt Ctrl Shift immediately after starting Photoshop.  If you don't see a window inviting you to reset, then you were not fast enough.

Good luck.

• 3. Re: photoshop froze(halfway) while working, now says not enough room to dock and preferences are gone!?
              SwampLilly925 Level 1

you know, i would think that someone old enough to be my grandfather would have more manners than to insult a college freshman and make her want to cry. OF COURSE i don't know how to use photoshop. If i did, i wouldn't need to take a class on it, now would i? and the help files on this site are not helpful when they don't cover the thing that you are looking for. So rude. Why comment at all if thats what you're going to say to me? did it make you feel better? i told you people everything i could think of to help someone know whats going on. ALL THE INFO IS THERE. each and every thing that you told me to put in to help you know whats going on is in there. and just because i need glasses and can't afford them is no reason to make fun of me either! honestly, you would think that adults would be more helpful. Instead i got insulted, got no helpful suggestions at all, and now all three of my projects are late. THANKS ADOBE COMMUNITY

• 4. Re: photoshop froze(halfway) while working, now says not enough room to dock and preferences are gone!?

SwampLilly If you are a collage freshman I think your own grandfather would also want you to get with the Program and use you mind and eyes. My comment also included Picture with red outline showing you where the setting are that you were look for or did you miss them too.  You are in Collage you need to stand one your own two feet and use your abilities the best that you can. Not cry like a little child.  I did not think that you would be a child only gifted children would be using Photoshop and they would not need help.

• 5. Re: photoshop froze(halfway) while working, now says not enough room to dock and preferences are gone!?
                  SwampLilly925 Level 1

gee wow. someone as old as you cant even type a simple paragraph without

insulting someone young enough to be their child. IF this is an example of

the upstanding adobe community i don't think i want to be a part of it. You

are so childish. Be a man and stop insulting people. I did nothing to you.

• 6. Re: photoshop froze(halfway) while working, now says not enough room to dock and preferences are gone!?
                    SwampLilly925 Level 1

gee wow. you cant even write a paragraph without insulting someone young enough to be your grandchild. I didnt realize asking for help was so offensive. If this is an example of the upstanding adobe community then i don't want to be a part of it. You are a small minded childish man who has to make people hurt to make himself feel big. WOW. have a nice life loser

• 7. Re: photoshop froze(halfway) while working, now says not enough room to dock and preferences are gone!?

Why not address your Photoshop issues that is what this forum is for. Have a good life and don't be a looser.  I am sure you are better at English then me.  Still I think you could do better then you did in then beginning of the thread your first append.  User here help with Photoshop issues.  But we need help from you.  Read the guide lines they may help you understand what we need from you.

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
                      • Adobe product and version number
                      • Operating system and version number
                      • The full text of any error message(s)
                      • What you were doing when the problem occurred
                      • Screenshots of the problem
                      • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.