6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2018 2:40 PM by riveteck

Lightroom Classic CC not seeing GPS Location Data

riveteck Level 1

problem:

I am not seeing GPS location metadata from files that I have imported (copied as original format) into the catalogue.

I have a "Apply During Import" preset that has all boxes checked.

I know the metadata is in the file I can see it in Bridge CC for both the imported copies & original files.

Thanks for any help in advance.

my system info:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.2 [ 1156743 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10 pro

Version: 10.0.16299

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 16

Processor speed: 3.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 65464.4 MB

---------

Processor    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 6001, 2/9/2018

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA TITAN Xp (23.21.13.9101)

• 1. Re: Lightroom Classic CC not seeing GPS Location Data
          Jim Wilde Adobe Community Professional

If your metadata preset indeed has all boxes checked, that may well be the problem. Checking for example the GPS box in the Camera Info section tells Lightroom to insert the GPS location data that's specified in the box, not in the file being imported, so if that box in the preset is blank that means the Lightroom will ignore any GPS data that may exist in the file.

So if the images that you are importing already have GPS coordinates embedded in them, you need to make sure that the Metadata preset has the GPS box unchecked.

Same applies to all other boxes in the preset.....you should only check any of the boxes where you want to add or change metadata, e.g. adding a copyright.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom Classic CC not seeing GPS Location Data
            riveteck Level 1

Many Thanks for this info Jim.

My preset was set with all boxes checked so the catalogue must have ignored those metadata that were checked.

I did go and read metadata on a single file and it did regain the GPS data but it also blew away anything I had added in the catalogue post the import.

Do you know is there a way to batch re-import one type of metadata from the original files? or am I going to have to re-import all my files with the metadata preset set correctly? I have many of files where I'm seeing this missing info in the catalogue.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Classic CC not seeing GPS Location Data
              Jim Wilde Adobe Community Professional

Try this with just one image that has been adjusted after import but has lost the GPS data: select it, then do Ctrl+S to write all existing metadata (i.e. your adjustments) to XMP, then do Metadata>Read Metadata from File, hopefully that will import only anything different, i.e. the GPS data. If it works, you could repeat by doing a multi-select, Ctrl+S, then Read Metadata.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Classic CC not seeing GPS Location Data
                riveteck Level 1

I tried this, Ctrl+S does record the metadata to the file but when i tried reading back from that file the GPS was gone. I think the saving the metadata first (Ctrl+S) blows away the data existing in the original file.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Classic CC not seeing GPS Location Data
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Do you know is there a way to batch re-import one type of metadata from the original files? or am I going to have to re-import all my files with the metadata preset set correctly? I have many of files where I'm seeing this missing info in the catalogue.

There's no way to do this within LR or with plugins, unfortunately.

If you're skilled with command-line scripting, you could use the free ExifTool utility to extract and save away the GPS locations for all your cataloged photos. Then you could select all of them in LR and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, writing out the catalog metadata to the photos (and overwriting the GPS locations).  Next, use ExifTool to restore the GPS locations to the photo files using the saved away data. Finally, in LR select all the photos and do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.  (Be sure to make a complete backup of your catalog and photos first!)

If you've never used ExifTool before, this would probably take a few hours due to its steep learning curve.  If you're not experienced with command-line scripting, I wouldn't recommend it.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Classic CC not seeing GPS Location Data
                    riveteck Level 1

Thanks John for the insight. I will probably just re-read the files metadata to retrieve the info I can replace whatever I might have added in terms of comments since I'm still early in my building of the catalogue.

Thanks to both of you for this info!