6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 6:42 AM by Newsgroup_User

my first website for a client

Mardenweb Level 1
      Hi,
      I have my first job creating a basic 4 page site for a consulting business. This client does not have a website so I will need to setup hosting/url. how is this usually setup? Does the client take care of this upfront or is this something that web designer (in this case me) sets up?

Can you help me with the correct questions to ask upfront to get started successfully. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Happy New Year!!

Den

• 1. Re: my first website for a client
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional
          It depends on the situation. Ideally if the client has a free server and a decent internet connection on it, they should be setting up the web server on their own machine and you would be doing this for them.

However, given that your client may be small and does not have this or you do not feel comfortable in that setup I would highly recommend looking into reseller hosting. It allows your client to pay the bill to you for hosting, allowing you to make a little more profit and then should anything go wrong you are always there to help out.

If you do not feel comfortable with reseller packages, then you should evaluate some web hosts and find one that is reliable. Sometimes you can even do this locally to build more personal relationships.
          • 2. Re: my first website for a client
            JoeDaSilva Level 4
            I don't personally like dealing with hosting anymore. If something goes wrong with the server guess who has to contact the hosting company on the clients behalf? You do. Client behind on their hosting bill while you're still paying the reseller account? Your problem. It's not worth $10 a month or whatever you might mark it up as.

If a client is totally new to the web I'll just take their credit card info over the phone and setup their hosting account for them using their own email address. You just have to make sure to explain that it'll be a reoccurring monthly charge and that they'll have to contact the hosting provider directly for any billing questions. 9 out of 10 hosts will either give you a free domain, or charge +/- $10 and then +/- $10 a year there after for the domain renewal.

After that just have them forward you the account details with the control panel / FTP information and you're done with the whole mess.

Shameless plug for my favorite host: www.apisnetworks.com
            • 3. Re: my first website for a client
              Level 7
              I would NEVER advise a client to host the site themselves.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"SnakEyez02" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gjufok$eel$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > It depends on the situation. Ideally if the client has a free server and
              > a
              > decent internet connection on it, they should be setting up the web server
              > on
              > their own machine and you would be doing this for them.
              >
              > However, given that your client may be small and does not have this or you
              > do
              > not feel comfortable in that setup I would highly recommend looking into
              > reseller hosting. It allows your client to pay the bill to you for
              > hosting,
              > allowing you to make a little more profit and then should anything go
              > wrong you
              > are always there to help out.
              >
              > If you do not feel comfortable with reseller packages, then you should
              > evaluate some web hosts and find one that is reliable. Sometimes you can
              > even
              > do this locally to build more personal relationships.
              >

• 4. Re: my first website for a client
                Level 7
                Murray *ACE* wrote:
                > I would NEVER advise a client to host the site themselves.

Nor me, unless they have security experts and server admins on site that
                know what they are doing, and a dedicated connection just for the web
                server. If someone did a dos attack on the webserver it could stop all
                traffic in and out of the building, something the boss really wouldn't
                be happy with.

I would get the client to sign up for a hosting account that I
                recommend, then get the client to send me the details so that I can do
                what I need to.

If I didn't mind the extra overhead of supporting the client when the
                website had issues, then I would host it myself with a reseller account.

Dooza
                • 5. Re: my first website for a client
                  Level 7
                  Well, congratulations on getting some work with seemingly no experience!

First, find a company and registars domain names, I personally use Godaddy,
                  but there are plenty. You do a search for a domain name, when you find one
                  you think your client will like, you call him and tell him what it is. If
                  he likes it, I would suggest you tell the client to go buy it, and give him
                  instructions on how to (by going to whaterver web site you used and hit the
                  "buy now" button).

I almost always suggest the client buy their own name, this way they own it.
                  I explain that if I get hit by a bus (driven by some former spouse of
                  mine...but I digress), then they still own the name...besides, there is
                  little money in you owning it.

Next, do a little research on hosting accounts, with four pages, you dont
                  need much, economy account on Godaddy would suffice, but feel free to shop
                  around.

After that, we would expect to hear from you asking us how to set up the new
                  client in your DW....in the meantime, do some research on HTML and CSS.

Gary

"carbiz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gjubif$992$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hi,
                  > I have my first job creating a basic 4 page site for a consulting
                  > business.
                  > This client does not have a website so I will need to setup hosting/url.
                  > how
                  > is this usually setup? Does the client take care of this upfront or is
                  > this
                  > something that web designer (in this case me) sets up?
                  >
                  > Can you help me with the correct questions to ask upfront to get started
                  > successfully. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
                  >
                  > Happy New Year!!
                  >
                  > Den
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: my first website for a client
                    Level 7

"carbiz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:gjubif$992$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hi,
                    > I have my first job creating a basic 4 page site for a consulting
                    > business.
                    > This client does not have a website so I will need to setup hosting/url.

well, no, you don't *need* to do this.

> is this usually setup? Does the client take care of this upfront or is
                    > this
                    > something that web designer (in this case me) sets up?
                    >
                    > Can you help me with the correct questions to ask upfront to get started
                    > successfully. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I will usually advise the client on hosting and help them find a host that
                    will suit their needs, but I do not manage it for them, etc. (I have made an
                    exception for one client, however)

If you do want to set it up, etc, for them, you'll want to factor in the
                    expense of that setup into the bill, etc. Also, the client may presume that
                    you're now going to be their tech support and call you at all hours of the
                    day/night if the ISP has a glitch. They'll probably expect you to do all
                    this for free, too, unless you make it clear up front that you'll charge
                    them for tech support after the site is live.

Many people like to go this way, me, I don't. That said, someone mentioned
                    reseller services, and that may be what you want to do. Check out
                    viaverio.com for reseller pricing, etc, on their VPSs. And if you're doing
                    the hosting for them, make sure they're being billed for it otherwise
                    they'll presume you're giving them free hosting or that lifetime hosting
                    fees were included in your price to them.