1 2 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2018 7:46 AM by therda25338122 Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion.

Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

ActivelyX Level 1

I'm going to cancel my subscription too. I'm tired of paying exorbitant fees month after month. $72.99 a month? From $52.99? I don't see inflation at that level.

• 1. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
          ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

What country or geography are you in, and which plan do you have?

How long have you had your subscription, and did you receive any initial promotional pricing which may be expiring?

Note that it's also possible to avoid the increase entirely:

Adobe Creative Cloud Price Is Changing – Here’s How, Why, and What That Means for You

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
            Frankenrock Level 1

I'm with you.

My subscription isn't increasing that much, but as a one-man small business, $50/ month is already insanely expensive for products that I barely scratch the surface of their potential use. There are other products available for free that can do what I need, I just prefer Adobe since I have a basic understanding of how it works.

This feels like a complete money grab that doesn't take into account the little guy. It seems that they are only looking at the bottom line.

Greed is a hell of a drug.

• 3. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
              KanikaS Adobe Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience!

For details, please see: Adobe Updates Creative Cloud Pricing          | Adobe Blog

Kindly view the link for more information related to price increase: Creative Cloud for individuals | Price changes in United States, Canada, and Mexico

You may also Contact Customer Care for help. Feel free to update the thread for more questions.

Thanks

Kanika

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                williams18553416 Level 1

I received the notification that our subscription rate will go from $49.99 to $79.99. Your "modest increase" is 60%. Would you take a "modest decrease" of 60% to your salary? This is exactly what I predicted Adobe would do with software as a service after killing off all of the competition. We only use Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator and could care less about all of the other apps that we're basically forced to pay for, it's just like cable TV.

• 5. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                  macuser2000 Level 1

Yeah it's a money grab.

The software satisfied my needs years ago and anything Adobe adds to it now doesn't benefit me. Sometimes it's even a step back - Dreamweaver for example. I don't use the current version because it's terrible.

I understand that converting to subscription based was a good business move since - like I said this software satisfied my needs years ago - so I probably wouldn't bother upgrading and Adobe wouldn't make any money. But having said that - users that aren't benefitting from the updates, like me, won't like paying more.

So, I think this increase will cause a lot of users to start looking elsewhere.

But I have a question... This page says I should be paying $49.99/month now and it's going up to $52.99 but I'm already paying $52.49/month and have been for over four years. What's up with that?

• 6. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                    Frankenrock Level 1

That's great, Kanika...and I appreciate your response, but the "core commercial and government offering" is overpriced to begin with. There needs to be a small business option for those of us who use the product but don't rely on it every day for creative. I use it a few times a month and it was already hard to justify $50/ month.

I hope that "the little guys" speak up and you hear them over this increase so that you realize how many people are/ were already struggling to justify the subscription model. The model itself is unfair. Let me give you a few hundred dollars and own a program that I can use as needed. I could do my work on a 2011 version of Photoshop and Acrobat if the option was available.

The updates and features you champion through the subscription model and it's updates make no impact on my world or on how I interact with the product. Now, I'm supposed to pay more because you have made around 10% more per year and per person since 2012...but haven't increased your price since that increase in revenue.

I hope the creative community agrees with you, because I can't believe that the casual use small business administrative community will.

Best,

D.

• 7. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

William, are you in North America and do you have a Teams membership?

If so, then you may have originally signed up when there was a 30% off promotion for your first year(s), to $49.99.

The regular Teams price is now moving from $69.99 to $79.99.

Here is more information on Adobe's pricing adjustments in North America (the first in six years):

Creative Cloud for individuals | Price changes in United States, Canada, and Mexico

Creative Cloud for teams | Price changes in United States, Canada, and Mexico

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

MacUser – guessing that state & local taxes are added, unless you are exempt.

• 9. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                          macuser2000 Level 1

Ah - you are correct. It's $49.99 + GST (I'm in Canada)

• 10. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                            colinchristensen Level 1

Here's what I wrote to them:

--

This is very discouraging.

I am a small business (one person) and use this product maybe once a week. It is the best product out there and all, (I only really use Illustrator and occasionally Photoshop) but at the new price, I will need to find another way to do what I do.

Also, being Canadian, I pay an extra ~27% on top of that. My $49 subscription costs me $70 each month. This $80 subscription will cost me over $100. As a small business, for the value this brings, it was barely worth it before. Now it certainly won’t be. I might have stuck around because new software has a learning curve and might not do all yours can. This barrier just dropped.

This isn’t the first time I’ve written to you about this and it seems it’s falling on deaf ears.

I wish you would consider value in a part-time user like me.

Back when Microsoft was selling Office as a disk, it was getting too expensive for small business owners to buy it. The illegal market for Office grew. More people were looking for ways to pirate it. Now, Office 365 is a measly $15/mth Canadian and I suggest it to every entrepreneur I work with because of the power and abilities it brings for a reasonable price. I’m not saying you need to drop your prices to $15/mth but you could ask yourself if there is a way to open an entire new market of millions of small businesses with an inexpensive version that we can afford. Your single app price is fine but I use two. Ends up being close to the same price as the suite.

At this point, all you are doing is creating competition. I’m going to be looking for alternate solutions and others will start to build them and will start growing. 30 years ago, businesses were on the S&P for an average of 65 years. By 2020, they will be averaging 5 years. It is practices like this that ostracize your clients and have them leave. You are creating a smaller exclusive market that only certain people can pay vs. a solid, massive market with those who want to pay a reasonable amount.

By the way, I’m one of the guys who educates hundreds of emerging entrepreneurs and once I find an alternative to the CC suite, I will have no choice but to point them elsewhere. As someone who has used Adobe for over 20 years, this is sad to me.

--

4 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                              macuser2000 Level 1

William and frankenrock - sounds like we are all in a similar situation. I really only use Id, Ps and Ai - hardly use Dw so I could live without it.

I need an affordable package for those programs only. You're exactly right comparing it to cable TV.

• 12. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                macuser2000 Level 1

colinchristensen  -google docs is free. So is Open Office. Why pay for MicroSoft. You made a very good point.

• 13. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                  macuser2000 Level 1

The one benefit is that the high cost creates a small barrier to entry in the business. Sometimes I end up competing against part-timers that charge $20/hour - they can't afford the software. No offence intended to any of you - just stating my experience.

• 14. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                    colinchristensen Level 1

macuser2000 both google and open office cannot do what MS Office does (to the level I use it). However, we're not talking about a difference of free to $80/mth, we're talking a difference of free to $15/mth for Office. I can justify that. The gap between something like Canva, GIMP or Inkscape  vs Adobe may make it more reasonable to have less features.

• 15. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                      macuser2000 Level 1

Fair enough. If it's worth it then $15/month is nothing.

• 16. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                        colinchristensen Level 1

That is a true point macuser2000. A barrier for the guys who cannot afford it is good. However, I'm not competing in that space, I'm just a user for my own personal stuff. Since I'm trained in it, I do my own graphics. I suppose this would force me to look at having someone else do it and that's not good for me either.

• 17. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                          frogmike Level 1

I got this email today as well, being from Canada I get the joy of paying the converted rate. About $74 every month...!

After a few years of paying this monthly price, I have only just now switched to the photoshop/lightroom package for 10$ a month (or, as it will be in my case, about $14/month)

I honestly hope more people choose with their money, Adobe is getting to be a bit too much. I don't use most of these programs, photoshop mainly, plus premiere occasionally. Mainly just for hobby! I don't know why I've been spending so much money on something I wasn't using, I feel dumb and used.

Adobe, if you want more money from me, give me a small package deal. Say 3/4 programs of my choice for $25 a month. Until then, I'll be happy to use applications from other companies. And while I appreciate the usefulness of each application, I don't and can't use every application you offer for the higher-fee, I cannot justify paying this price any longer.

-Frustrated customer

• 18. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                            KanikaS Adobe Employee

Hi Frogmike,

We really appreciate your business with Adobe!

Unfortunately, as of now, there is no plan wherein you could club 3-4 apps for $25. We shall definitely forward your feedback to our concerned team.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Feel free to update the thread for more questions.

Thanks

Kanika

• 19. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                              Jeremy Ryan Level 1

This is very unfortunate!  As a self-employed, freelance creative, the cost of using Adobe products has become a difficult "bill" to swallow.  As much as I enjoy using the various apps, it has become a major expense.  Sadly, I may have to cancel my subscription.

* Perhaps Adobe could consider an advert supported business model?

• 20. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                scrabbleship13 Level 1

This is complete trash on two levels.

We are using only three apps here in our office of five individual users, yet we will be paying $15/mo more because Adobe needs to subsidize those using the full suite. If only there was an option for graphic designers who don't need the BS of Premier or Dreamweaver.

Secondly, the fact there is still no Canadian pricing available (yet you magically charge Canadian HST on our product) is trash. You offer Australian pricing but can't manage a reasonable exchange rate for your Canadian customers? May have to start looking at paying in another currency where there is no tax applied.

• 21. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                  cliffpagemaker Level 1

There is absolutely no need to increase the already high subscription prices! Apple is making a mint for themselves and their stockholders! ENOUGH ALREADY!
                                                  THEY NEED TO HEAR FROM WE, THE USERS!

• 22. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                    redwoodtwig Level 1

I also got an email telling me my price was going to jump -- I expected that, since I signed up for the first year at 29.99 -- but that year isn't up until october.  Unclear if Adobe is going to wait till then to jump me to 52.99 or the email is saying that next month my bill will jump.  The link takes me to a very confusing plan changing area with lots of explanation that is very unclear regarding what I have and what they plan to do with my account.

As with just about everyone else who has the individual software as service plan, I use very few of the apps included.  In my case ther are only 6 that say "open." since I've not bothered to install the ones I never use.

If Adobe wants to continue to receive my monthly money, they need to realize that having pinned us to the wall, if they apply enough price pressure, we will leave.  Even if we have to use software that is not quite as "good."

• 23. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                      KanikaS Adobe Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience!

For details, please see: Adobe Updates Creative Cloud Pricing          | Adobe Blog

Kindly view the link for more information related to price increase: Creative Cloud for individuals | Price changes in United States, Canada, and Mexico

You may also Contact Customer Care for help. Feel free to update the thread for more questions.

Thanks

Kanika

• 24. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                        colinchristensen Level 1

I'm sorry to say, this is not helpful at all. I don't feel Adobe is listening. Pointing us to a page where it states the updated costs doesn't actually answer the real question everyone is asking here: why don't you care for your smaller customers or why don't you offer a smaller offering for said customers? Many of us have said almost the same thing. We only use a couple apps and the price is too high for what is being used.

• 25. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                          williams18553416 Level 1

There are 24 apps in Creative Cloud @ $79.99, so that's $3.33 each. I'll take the four that I actually use (I forgot to include Acrobat previously) for $13.33 and you can sell the other 20 dubiously useful ones to the people who use them.

I've always said to my colleagues that Adobe was the evil software empire, not Microsoft. Cable television is losing it's grip on the market because no one wants, or wants to pay for, the hundreds of channels that no one watches, and that seems to be Adobe's model. Hopefully the people that can migrate from Adobe to other products will send a enough of a message. Unfortunately, most of us will have too much invested in years of legacy files to move away from Adobe. Years ago, when Quark Xpress had 90% market share, they were pretty obnoxious with their customer support and pricing, and pretty quickly dropped to less than 10%. Adobe, essentially giving away InDesign at the beginning of Creative Suite then finished off Quark for the most part.

• 26. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                            nicka92646826 Level 1

Absolutely need a plan where 2-4 apps are used for like $20-30 a month. As a small business owner, I can't justify the jump from like 600 dollars to 900 dollars in 2 years. Nothing in the functionality of how I use my programs has fundamentally changed - so I'm paying an increased price for things I already used two years ago.

What's the price increase going to be next year? Or the next year after that? $1200 a year? I've made the decision to jump ship to other graphic design programs which are one time payments of 70 dollars FOREVER. They do exactly the same things as Adobe and actually have different features which Adobe doesn't have. To convince me to go back to Adobe for graphic design programs is going to be extremely difficult.

In terms of video editing and animation programs - Adobe has me in a tight squeeze as there's not much competition. But none-the-less, I refuse to pay for 10+ apps when I only need 2. So, I'll use the inferior, but cheaper, versions of video and animation software. They'll get better over time and stay cheap while Adobe programs will mostly stay the same and only get more expensive as time goes on.

Adobe - I'm out. Good luck in your future endeavours.

• 27. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                              Dizeman Level 1

Mine is increasing to $52.00 upon my next subscription update. I thought it was priced high to begin with.

Adobe Products have always been way too high in cost and then they wondered why so many pirated their product... It was never a mystery to me.

What I don't understand is why Adobe does not understand, when they charge such high prices, they actually reduce their market, because far more people would use their product, if the prices were not so high. They effectively force many to NOT use Adobe products, because they just cannot afford them.

I call this the ROLEX SYNDROME.  Yes! You get a higher price for your product, but you eliminate far more potential subscribers and thus revenue than you gain by raising the prices.

If the price of the package I am using goes up much higher, I will have to start looking for a Photoshop alternative and yes... there are alternatives.

JD

• 28. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                                chuckk58286033 Level 1

I'm in agreement with you. This is a ridiculous increase. Blackmail. Get you dependent so you don't have other choices and dramatically raise the fees.

• 29. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                                  Seppie Level 1

Is this really only going up for monthly subscription's,  and not going up on annual subscription's?

• 30. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

The increase does not apply to all Creative Cloud plans... It applies to All Apps and Single-App plans (either annual or monthly) – but not to Photography, Education, or Acrobat plans.  It would not go into effect until a subscriber's next renewal date.

As noted above, it's also possible to avoid any price increase entirely.

• 31. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                                      RoC1909 Level 1

Completely agree with you Nicka!

While I am sure that the vast majority of applications that Adobe has included in the Creative Cloud subscription are pretty awesome, I have the same issue that you, as well as others have - a small handful of applications are used but full price is being paid. For me, I primarily use Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat. For the numerous years that I have been a subscriber, I can literally count on 2 fingers the number of times I have used Photoshop, and can count on 1 finger the number of times I used Premier. Other than that, I don't need any of the other apps and have been perfectly content with the apps that I use.

Adobe created the Photography plan, and that looks like it's a hell of a deal for individuals who are photographers, but why doesn't Adobe create a similar package for graphic designers? I am not saying that it needs to be similarly priced to the photography package, but something along the lines of 30 bucks a month would be a lot more palatable for the three applications that I use, instead of 53 bucks...for the three applications that I use.

My main point is WHY does Adobe feel the need to have the same "all or nothing" business model that the Cable/Satellite TV industry uses? The amount that I pay in relation to the work that I do is not cost effective, and it might be time to start looking at the many alternatives (i.e., Gimp, Xara, Nitro, etc.)

• 32. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                                        lochlanw11488821 Level 1

Just cancelled my account as monthly fee more than doubled for the student plan I'm on! And to kick you in the balls they want 50% of the balance of the contract term as a 'cancellation fee". Day light robbery!  Is adobe actively trying to make us all pirates?

• 33. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

How has it doubled? Adobe's current Student/Education, Photography and Acrobat plans have no pricing adjustment.

What you may be seeing is because the first year of Student/Teacher in USD is always given at a lower price of $19.99/mo. instead of the regular price of $29.99/mo.

So if you purchased at a discounted promotional price and are coming to the end of your promotional period, your renewal price will now reflect the shift to standard pricing.

• 34. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                                            lochlanw11488821 Level 1

So... my account history clearly shows AU$11.99p/mo from 01Dec2015, which then jumped to AU$18.99 p/mo in 01Jan2016 ( a 58% increase) and now has risen to AU$43.99 p/mo from 01Jan18 ( a 131% increase).

Sorry, unjustifiable in anyone's language and the cancellation fee is simply outrageous.

• 35. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

You need to contact Adobe. Did you revalidate your academic status with them?

It needs to be done annually before each renewal, to show that you still qualify and are eligible for the student discount.

If not, then your subscription would switch to the non-education (regular) pricing.

It sounds like your membership ended up renewing without the academic discount, meaning there is likely a misunderstanding... because there is absolutely no Adobe CC Student/Teacher offering at that high of a price (A$43.99/mo).

Contact Customer Care

• 36. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                                                christophers12937907 Level 1

I have to agree that this is absurd.  Adobe is not giving subscribers equal value for this increase in price (and please do not bother telling me about how the price hasn't increased over the years -- it was already high to begin with.)  Is this how they wish to be viewed: as predatory?

Locking people and their project files into an ecosystem that cannot be used without continuing to pay at the company's current whim.  I use Photoshop and InDesign and am thus forced into getting the All Apps package.  Why is there no a la carte tier for me to pick and choose what I wish at a vastly reduced price from All Apps?

The primary reason I subscribed and upgraded to CC was for the Black Friday special Adobe were running, which lowered the price to a more palpable amount for a smaller user like myself.  It's unfortunate, but I will be looking into alternative solutions because of this price increase.

Thanks for your time.

• 37. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

christophers12937907 wrote:

I use Photoshop and InDesign and am thus forced into getting the All Apps package.  Why is there no a la carte tier for me to pick and choose what I wish at a vastly reduced price from All Apps?

But you're not, and there is.

If you only want 1 or 2 tools, then you can go with Single-App Subscriptions to get them 'à la carte' instead...

Don’t Need Full Cloud? Get Any Single Adobe CC Tool for $9-19 a Month

In your case, for Photoshop (+Lightroom) + InDesign would run around US$30/month, with related services and ongoing product upgrades included.

• 38. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                                                    frogmike Level 1

And that is too much which is the problem. I don't understand how you're defending Adobe so much. Maybe you should try understanding that not everybody can pay these super-high prices for things *they're not using*. I've likely paid $3000 over the past few years, using only a few of the programs, and other on occasion. And now that I've reduced myself to the Photoshop-only tier, I have plenty of other stuff I can no longer use. RIDICULOUS. This is NOT good value. Adobe does not understand its customers, they're just quietly reeling in the money.

• 39. Re: Subscription cost increasing AGAIN
                                                                                      fwhilton Level 1

Ha!

I canceled my subscription DEC 2017.... NEVER HAVE LOOKED BACK

Don't be lazy.... there are alternatives.

CorelDraw

Affinity (Deign/Photo)

BlackMagic (Resolve/Fusion)

Blender

Stop griping and do something about it!!

2 people found this helpful
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next