• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge metatags/keywords not searchable by non bridge users of same photos on server. Can it be done?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

searched through answers, and maybe not searching the correct terms.

I have metatagged/keyword images created in bridge.

I have users on pc's and macs hooked up to a server.

Limited few have bridge or any adobe products at all.

The images are on a server for all to see.

The users need to easily search for an image (for example) a coffee table (keywords).

PC and MAC search on that server for "coffee table" does not return any results for anyone.

sidenote: It also seems i need to be in that particular folder to find that particular keyword in Bridge.  what am i overlooking?

Thank you helpful people!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

I was hoping for a native solution for this but It doesn't appear that there is one...

Obviously my experience is different. With keywords/subject metadata embedded into an image, I can use Bridge or native Mac/Windows search functions to correctly find/filter images with a specific keyword. Or I can use other capable software. Beyond keywords, it depends on the file format, metadata and software in use and potentially other factors may come  into play.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific file formats are the “images”? Raw such as .NEF, .ORF, .CR2 etc… Or rendered images such as .JPEG, .TIFF, .PSD etc?

Have you double checked that the metadata is actually embedded in the files in question?

EDIT: The Mac and Windows have different abilities for metadata searching, so it may be very specific on which fields and how/where the search is performed.

Bridge CC is now free.

There are many tools that can search for metadata, some more capable than others and others more or less user friendly than others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay... wonderful "clutter"

here are a few replies... thanks for your time.

What specific file formats are the “images”? Raw such as .NEF, .ORF, .CR2 etc… Or rendered images such as .JPEG, .TIFF, .PSD etc?

• All final images are almost all jpg.

Have you double checked that the metadata is actually embedded in the files in question?

• Is there an option to not "embed" the meta/keywords when assigning them in Bridge?  because maybe that wasn't checked off when the image catalog was gone through and tagged.  (i don't see this sort of option though...)

EDIT: The Mac and Windows have different abilities for metadata searching, so it may be very specific on which fields and how/where the search is performed.

• These "different" abilities don't seem to exist, Im in the folder on bridge... looking at the keywords... also opening "find" and searching in same folder for said keywords... no dice.

Bridge CC is now free.

• Bridge for everyone is ok...

but we are talking multiple level users from people who only use a computer at work for email to designers and IT.

MEANING most of these people are not going to be willing to learn (although small learning curve it may be) a new program.

At some point every level of person though needs to be able to just FIND or SEARCH ... whatever meta/keyword term and poof there it is.

About 4 years ago this worked on PC's with no problem... but now it seems it just doesn't work even on my MAC...

I like the idea of other programs providing search ability, but there's a reason there is a FIND or Search or even spotlight on your computer, everybody has a basic understanding of how it works and should be able to find an image based on the work it took to tag that image...

Thank you for your time,

I was hoping for a native solution for this but It doesn't appear that there is one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Generally speaking, metadata can be stored in JPG files, but it depends on the type of metadata in question. It also depends on the exact software being used on what can searched for, as not all software is equal in ability,

Legacy IPTC keywords or newer XMP Subject “keywords” should be OK, but it will all depend on what is in the file and what/how the search is performed.

2. Can you post a screenshot of your search settings in Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, it depends. Different platforms and different filetypes have different capabilities. Your IT people should find a program (Bridge or whatever) and train the users to do searches. That's the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Obviously my experience is different. With keywords/subject metadata embedded into an image, I can use Bridge or native Mac/Windows search functions to correctly find/filter images with a specific keyword. Or I can use other capable software. Beyond keywords, it depends on the file format, metadata and software in use and potentially other factors may come  into play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sidenote: It also seems i need to be in that particular folder to find that particular keyword in Bridge.  what am i overlooking?

In the upper right corner of Bridge, there is a search option for Bridge to search the current folder, or leverage the underlying OS specific search features.

Bridge’s Edit menu > Find command offers better searches, with the ability to include all sub-folders under a top level folder and to search for non-indexed/cached data/metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines