• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Document profile - Change the Clipboard preset to Inches & 300ppi

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time i copy artwork from Illustrator to paste into a new photoshop document, the only available preset for creating the new document from the Clipboard has the dimension in pixels and the resolution @ 72 ppi. How can i change this default to be Clipboard, Inches & 300ppi?

I already know that i can manually change Pixels to Inches and then Resolution from 72 to 300 each and every time I create a new document, i'm just hoping to eliminate those two steps. I also know that i can create a custom profile that is, say, 10" x 10" @ 300ppi and then i can resize the canvas to match whatever i paste into it. i'm not looking for a workaround. If the New Document "clipboard" profile already exists, there should be a way to either change its preference or create a new one with the preferences i outlined above. I just can't figure out how.

Ages ago, photoshop used to retain the units of dimension and resolution from the previously created new document.

I had an online chat with Adobe Customer Service and I couldn't get them to understand what i was asking for.

anyone?

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 11.59.45 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mein File New shortcut  Ctrl+N (New document) Workspace Dialog  Your recent Items "Clipboard"  is not a preset it is a dynamic first enter or not. For if the Clipboard is empty there will be no "Clipboard" item. If you press Print screen theree will be a "clipboard" Item the size of your Display or Displays or active window with a 72DPI resolution. If you copy something with Photoshop Copy(Ctrl+C). Copy Merge(Shift+Ctrl+C),  or Cut(Ctrl+X) there will be a "Clipboard"  for  what you copied into the clipboard at the Document copied from resolution.  Yes the Recent Item "Clipboard" changes to what is in the Clipboard.  I think this is how "Clipboard" Always worked for me on Windows I do not  have a CMD key Like Mac users do. Perhape Mac clipboard in OSX is different.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get what you're saying about there not being a preset per se.

I'm curious what is the source of your clipboard element where you're given a clipboard resolution of 300ppi? is it from another photoshop file? Illustrator is resolution independent, so I'm curious why items copied from it default to 72dpi and why I can't change that.

I can't remember which version in the past allowed this, it may have been as far back as CS5, but if I opened a new document in Photoshop with an Illustrator item in the clipboard, I could set the dimension to Inches and Resolution to 300ppi, same as I do now, but the difference being, all subsequent new documents would then use 300ppi and Inches as the defaults for Clipboard items... at least until the preferences file got corrupted or was otherwise deleted.

It seems like a petty thing, but because I'm constantly switching between Illustrator and Photoshop, it was super convenient to keyboard cmd + N,  then cmd + V and be ready to go. New workflow habits are hard to adapt, and this is just an irritation piled upon other irritations where an "upgrade" either removes a feature or complicates a previously "simple" activity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AS I wrote The resolution in the Clipboard will be the resolution of the document copied from.  I used the same document here for my screen captures I just changed the document Resolution between the firs and second copy. Menu Image Size resample not check and changed the resolution.  Not a single pixel is changed added or removed the Document resolution setting is changed so the size of the sides of the print changes.  The last two captures in both cases the were 700x500 px one was 100DPI the other 300 DPI.  The capture before them  I used PrtScn Windows did the Copy to the Clipboard.  From Chrome I could Copy HTML Text  Highlight and Copy(Crtl+C) or Use Alt+PrtScn and have windows copy chrome window image to the Clipboard.  It would be a 72dpi sRGB image in the clipboard.  Where  If Photoshop Did the copy the color space would be the color space of the document copied from.  I do not use other Adobe Applications like AI, Lightroom  etc I only use Photoshop what Other Application Copy to the Clipboard is not in my databank.  Photoshop can also Copy and Past Text from/to the text tool  using the clipboard.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same frustrating issue. I use InDesign for creating print graphics and then some clients want the elements on their website. In CS6 you could copy graphics and images out of InDesign, open a new file in Photoshop and paste. The new document would be original size at 300ppi. I'm not sure what changed but I cannot find a way to do this using CC. My current work around is to scale the graphic (with effects) in InDesign up to 1000% before copying. Then I follow my traditional steps in Photoshop of new file, paste, resize, export, save for web as jpeg or png depending on the need. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it. I work in Illustrator... copy an element out and paste in Photoshop (20.0.2). Photoshop no longer holds the proportions or resolution (I have to create a new document with a huge canvas size at the resolution I want and paste). The beauty of the "past" was to copy elements out of Illustrator, it would give you the exact dimensions when creating a new file in Photoshop and you could paste other items and they would line up perfectly. For me, I re-arrange layers in Illlustrator and need to stack them up in Photoshop. I'm still looking for a way.... one issue at a time. I just went through the "steps" to reverse the scaling feature that is now "opposite" how it has been for 25 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found what works for me. Photoshop Preferences - select - "Skip Transform when Placing".  On to the net mystery : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing in image file is much different then pasting from the clipboard. It does not change the document resolution or create a new clipboard size document.  Place is also strange Photoshop feature.  Placing an Illustrator files like .ai and .svg  create what Adobe call a vector smart objects thou there are not vector in Photoshop. The object file is basically re imported at as a different size layer when transformed.  The Photoshop option resized during place has nothing to do about resizing the image.  It about scaling Larger then canvas size smart object layer to fit on canvas.  Normal image files images will be resized based on the files Print DPI setting and the document being placed into resolution.  Illustrator vector files have been special cased Adobe documents the as vector smart objects.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the solution that eluded me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. copy objects in InDesign CC (e.g.) to the clipboard

2. switch to Photoshop CC > New

3. switch units from pixel to cm (e.g.), change dpi from 72 to 300 dpi, change etc.

4. create document

5. DONE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not install Indesign.  Do document in Indesign have a resolution setting like Photoshop documents do? If they do when Indesign copies the an image to the clipboard it may include the resolution of the image like Photoshop does.  So when you use Photoshop menu File>Open>New Document.  Photoshop sees that the clipboard is not empty and in so Photoshop includes Clipboard preset in the new Document dialog that has the Size and resolution of the image the is currently in the clipboard.   I think what you are seeing is normal operation. In the dialog you can change the size and resolution for a new document created but when you do the paste the layer may not be canvas size.  Changing the new documents canvas size will not change the number of pixels that are in the clipboard. The  layer pasted in should be clipboard size which my be different the the document canvas size if you caged the number of pixel ins the clipboard preset presented.  Changing the resolution and inches to CM may not change the number of pixels Photoshop  will change the unuts for the number of pixels in the clipboard.  However if  you change the sizes in the dialog the document canvas size will not be the size of what is in the clipboard.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't compare to the CS6 way that allowed me to cmd/ctrl+c an image from InDesign and cmd/ctrl+n in Photoshop, where the previous resolution used would be kept until I changed it. When you have to prepare several images for the web for retina screens -- all day long --, not having to manually double the images' dimensions every time makes all the difference. I simply don't understand why newer versions would remove this feature and why it's so hard for some people to realize how quick and efficient it was. The process should be simple: copy an image from InDesign, paste it to Photoshop with double the dimensions in two steps: cmd/ctrl+n and cmd/ctrl+v. CC versions do not allow me to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But I think that's the point she is trying to make. We don't want to have to go through those steps. Why can't I just change the default resolution of everything I copy from the clipboard to 300 ppi and not 72 ppi? I appeciate that the original pasted document might be 72 ppi, but I will deal with that, I just want it pasted into a new clipboard document with the 300 ppi setting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines