5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2018 6:13 PM by electriclove

How to reduce size of PNG? OR how to apply drop shadow to section of text only?

electriclove

Hi everyone,

I am supposed to be designing a Snapchat geofilter for a school event. The restrictions Snapchat has on submitted geofilters are that the background has to be transparent and the size must be less than 300KB. I have a simple design with a small triangular shape filled with a gradient on the bottom, a small logo, and a few lines of text. I have applied a stroke to each text line. Additionally, I applied a drop shadow to the line of text that is on top of the gradient so that it stands out more (as the colours are similar due to the required theme for the event).

However when I "save as" a png, the file size is around 550KB. I did some reading online and people suggested to "save for web", however this ruins the drop shadow for the line of text. (I have learned it is because there are no pixels for it to blend with?) I have inserted an example of what I mean by the text line cutting through the gradient at an angle below.

My question is: is there a way I can decrease the file size by 250KB while keeping the drop shadow?

If not, then is there a way I can like section off the drop shadow so that there is only a drop shadow over the gradient section and not over the transparent background?

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!

q-for-web.png