2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 4:35 AM by patrickl32183333

Where is the bracket on a french extended keyboard?

patrickl32183333

Hello, like you know, using the brackets [ ] while using some paint tools in Photoshop is pretty useful (like to resized the tool brush). Unfortunately, I can't find a way using those brackets. I have an MAC French extended Keyboard. The brackets are under the 9 and the 0 on the keyboard. But within Photoshop, can't find a way to use those two characters. As long as I pressed the ALT key, the color selection is selected. It's pretty annoying as I always have to get to the brush menu to adjust my brush dimension. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help

• 1. Re: Where is the bracket on a french extended keyboard?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

This looks like the standard AZERTY layout.  Alt Gr accesses the blue characters.

AZERTY - Wikipedia

It's in the same place on extended AZERTY keyboards

http://www.ibt.ca/v2/items/btc5121w/images/azerty_1.jpg

[EDIT]  I'm thinking that's going to be a pain considering how often you'd need to use the square brackets for brush sizing, but there are several options.  A Wacom Intuos (or whatever they are calling it this week) can change brush size with the Express Wheel, and indeed, can be programmed to output any character.

You could use a Gaming Mouse like the Razer Naga which has 12 programmable buttons.  You could set two keys to adjust brush size.

You could change your keyboard.  I use a QWERTY Logitech G910 which has nine G keys in three banks, so 27 in all.  These are context sensitive, so can be set to different functions for different applications.

The other option is a Gaming keyboard, which is an additional keyboard on which every key is programmable with keystrokes or macros.  I have just ordered a Razer Orbweaver that has 20 programmable keys plus an 8 way thumb switch and two further switches/buttons.  The button above the thumb switch is used to switch between any os as many profiles as you want to set up.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Where is the bracket on a french extended keyboard?
            patrickl32183333 Level 1

Thank you Trevor for all your nice ideas / alternatives. But it's hard to think that there's no other way I can't use those two keys as is within Photoshop without having to acquire other stuffs.