2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 3:05 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Editing a video(gif) - copying and pasting per frame

lisae92697915

Hi there,

Hopefully this question makes sense.  I have a gif saved, and I've tried editing it frame by frame but I keep running into the same issue.

It's a gif of two people dancing, and I'm trying to superimpose two other people's faces onto the original faces.

I've got the timeline open at the bottom.  Whenever I click on the first frame and layer, I can copy and paste the face and re-position it, fine.  When I go to the second frame and layer and do the same thing, it's fine, but when I go back to the first frame, there are two faces there.  It's like everytime I copy and paste to the next frame, it also copies and pastes to the previous frame.  How can I stop this from happening?

• 1. Re: Editing a video(gif) - copying and pasting per frame
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

It would be very to know what you are actually doing show a screen capture if you project in Photoshop showing all the important Palette Layers timeline etc.  A video timeline or frame animation?

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
          • Adobe product and version number
          • Operating system and version number
          • The full text of any error message(s)
          • What you were doing when the problem occurred
          • Screenshots of the problem
          • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.

helpful if you showed a screen capture of what your project looks like in Photoshop showing all the important palettes Layers timeline etc.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing a video(gif) - copying and pasting per frame
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

lisae92697915  wrote

When I go to the second frame and layer and do the same thing, it's fine, but when I go back to the first frame, there are two faces there.

It sounds like the basic relationship between frames and layers.  For a simple frame animation, each frame needs just one layer turned on. You need to select each frame one at a time, and make sure that only the relevant layer is turned on.  If you are moving a single layer to track with the original, it is more difficult to see what is going on.

If you paste a screen shot of your workspace showing the Timeline and layers panel, it might help to see where you are going wrong.  If you have not already done so, undock the layers panel from its group with Path and Channels, and enlarge it to the full height of the screen.  Set the tumbnails to Small to maximise the number of layers visible on screen.

Frame animations are one of the times when using multiple screens is a boon.  My peripheral screens are in portrait mode, which gives me more room for long layers panel.