6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 3:21 AM by angryNerd

Director 11 or MX 2004?

ytlevine
      I am having a bunch of problems with Director 11.
      Should I just go back to MX 2004 - the changes don't seem to make too much of a difference to me.
      And where can I find a full list of changes?
      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Director 11 or MX 2004?
          Level 7
          > I am having a bunch of problems with Director 11.
          > Should I just go back to MX 2004 - the changes don't seem to make too much of
          > a difference to me.

If you don't need to natively support Intel Macs under Shockwave there
          are *no* compelling reasons to upgrade (and far too many to not)

> And where can I find a full list of changes?

You can't, because Adobe didn't bother to provide one, and no amount of
          badgering seems able to induce them to. There is a list of "fixes"
          provided at
          < http://blogs.adobe.com/shockwaves/2008/04/director_11_released.html>
          but since some of the fixes relate to new features it can't be taken
          seriously (while implementing such-and-such they introduced a bug which
          they subsequently fixed - that doesn't rate as a bug fix to my mind,
          rather it's what I'd call "programming")
          • 2. Re: Director 11 or MX 2004?
            Level 7
            > If you don't need to natively support Intel Macs under Shockwave...
            Are you sure that the new version is required for that?
            From what I've checked, even when publishing with dir04, the browsers seem
            to be using the new engine for playback, if the new sw version is installed.
            Haven't checked this with OSX, since when developing, I'm usually in front
            of a w2k-like theme XP machine.
            But, I can't remember having any issues with shockwave content on intelMac -
            well, except with havok movies.. Then again, didn't spend too much time on
            osx testing or even browsing, lately.

Btw, if the new engine is used automatically, existing non-english content
            that expect to get extended ascii codes when using the chartonum() function
            will have serious issues.

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g3uht0$ip$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> I am having a bunch of problems with Director 11.
            >> Should I just go back to MX 2004 - the changes don't seem to make too
            >> much of a difference to me.
            >
            > If you don't need to natively support Intel Macs under Shockwave there are
            > *no* compelling reasons to upgrade (and far too many to not)
            >
            >> And where can I find a full list of changes?
            >
            > You can't, because Adobe didn't bother to provide one, and no amount of
            > badgering seems able to induce them to. There is a list of "fixes"
            > provided at
            > < http://blogs.adobe.com/shockwaves/2008/04/director_11_released.html> but
            > since some of the fixes relate to new features it can't be taken seriously
            > (while implementing such-and-such they introduced a bug which they
            > subsequently fixed - that doesn't rate as a bug fix to my mind, rather
            > it's what I'd call "programming")

• 3. Re: Director 11 or MX 2004?
              Level 7
              The primary new features that matter are:

1) Intel native code for Macs
              2) Unicode text

There are other smaller things like bugfixes, etc, but those are the
              compelling reasons as far as I'm concerned.

The fact that Intel Macs can now natively run your content is pretty
              minor unless you are heavy into 3d. The old MX 2004 projectors would
              work fine in Intel Macs, since they run in Rosetta. There is almost no
              real speed drop. It is a little slower, but not enough for me to care
              about much... apart from 3d. If you do complex 3d stuff, then you will
              see a difference in native code vs Rosetta.

On the subject of 3d, if you want physics on a Mac, then you have to use
              the new Ageia engine which requires D11.

The Unicode thing is pretty much a non-issue if your target audience is
              English speaking people using English operating systems. If you do not
              need to put special Unicode characters in your text (like Greek or other
              languages with non-ANSI characters), then you will not see much of a
              difference.

So basically which product you use for development will depend upon your
              target audience. If you are targeting high end Macs with 3d stuff or if
              you are targeting non-English speakers then D11 may be right for you.
              If not, then I would stick with MX 2004.

I actually have both and I only use D11 for the one project I am working
              on that requires Greek text. All my other projects are still done in MX
              2004 until they work out some of the bugs.
              • 4. Re: Director 11 or MX 2004?
                ytlevine Level 1
                Thanks all for the help and details.
                • 5. Re: Director 11 or MX 2004?
                  ytlevine Level 1
                  Were there any improvements on importing PSD files?
                  • 6. Re: Director 11 or MX 2004?
                    angryNerd
                    Hmmm... I'm beginning to fill my pants rapidly...

I've just completed a project in D11 and published a Mac projector on the PC I authored it all on.

My Mac is running 10.3.9 and the Mac projector won't work - it says "Application Error. This application requires Shockwave Player 11, which can not be found. Click OK to download it".

Sure enough clicking OK does NOTHING. What happened to the old OSX projector from MX04??

Do I have to start all over again in MX04 just to get a OSX projector??! If this is so then I'm going to going completely crazy!!!

Anyone know if I can get a proper OSX projector out of the PC???!

Thanks