6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2008 4:41 PM by pixlor

Loading times for images

johngordon12 Level 1
      Just a quick one on file sizes up download times.

When you do view an image preview, and it shows the filesize, and a time @ 56kbps, is that the estimated time it takes to download at 56kbps?

In which case, why does it quote 8 seconds for a 50k image, or 30 seconds for a 200k image? Shouldn't a 50k image take about 1 second, and a 200k image take about 4 seconds?
        • 1. Re: Loading times for images
          Level 7
          Already answered, no?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Iain71" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g3greo$ii6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Just a quick one on file sizes up download times.
          >
          > When you do view an image preview, and it shows the filesize, and a time @
          > 56kbps, is that the estimated time it takes to download at 56kbps?
          >
          > In which case, why does it quote 8 seconds for a 50k image, or 30 seconds
          > for
          > a 200k image? Shouldn't a 50k image take about 1 second, and a 200k image
          > take
          > about 4 seconds?
          >

• 2. Re: Loading times for images
            pixlor Level 4
            quote:

Originally posted by: Iain71
            Just a quick one on file sizes up download times.

When you do view an image preview, and it shows the filesize, and a time @ 56kbps, is that the estimated time it takes to download at 56kbps?

In which case, why does it quote 8 seconds for a 50k image, or 30 seconds for a 200k image? Shouldn't a 50k image take about 1 second, and a 200k image take about 4 seconds?

The bps measurement is bits per second, not bytes per second. File sizes are measured in bytes, which are eight bits. A 50k image is 50 kilobytes, or 400 kilobits. That's why it's 8 seconds for a 50k image at 56kbps, not 1 second.
            • 3. Re: Loading times for images
              johngordon12 Level 1
              Thanks - that does explain it - it has always nagged me, but rarely been that much of an issue. I should look back over a few sites I've done and see if I can improve some of the images, as that's a pretty serious misunderstanding.
              • 4. Re: Loading times for images
                pixlor Level 4
                You're welcome! My brain's cluttered with bits of information that I didn't intend to remember. Every once in a while, one of 'em is actually useful!

I think modems are in rated in bits per second, rather than bytes per second, partly for historical reasons and partly because that makes for a higher number which makes them seem faster.
                • 5. Re: Loading times for images
                  Level 7
                  Modems have been rated with 'baud' values ever since the dinosaurs. "Baud"
                  means bits per second. It was quite 'modern' when we dropped the use of the
                  baud nomenclature and adopted the 'edgy' bits per second....

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

"pixlor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g3jg7o$g6c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > You're welcome! My brain's cluttered with bits of information that I
                  > didn't
                  > intend to remember. Every once in a while, one of 'em is actually useful!
                  >
                  >
                  > I think modems are in rated in bits per second, rather than bytes per
                  > second,
                  > partly for historical reasons and partly because that makes for a higher
                  > number
                  > which makes them seem faster.
                  >

• 6. Re: Loading times for images
                    pixlor Level 4
                    Dinosaurs used 300 Baud teletypes?

Who knew!?!?