Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF — Text over Video?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I know that I'm not the first one with this question, but still I could not find an answer anywhere that I understand.

I want to create an interactive PDF for the first time in my life. It should automatically play a video in the background and have a text in the foreground. The well-known problem is: The text automatically disappears in the PDF in the background.

Could someone explain to me patiently what I have to do to keep my text up front?

I despair.

Best Regards

Peter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a PDF or an EPUB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll probably have problems with this with PDF, maybe try InDesign Publish Online, FXL ePub or in5 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the main InDesign forum from InDesign EPUB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that we're in the right place let me give you the bad news. You'll never get this to work that way in a PDF.

You might be able to pull it off in a fixed layout epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you can totally do this. The trick is to convert the text frame to a button and then position it over the video. the button won't do anything but because it's an interactive elements, other interactive elements will honor it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, as we always have to add, interactive PDF with buttons is only certain to work in Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader. In Mac Preview, web browsers or mobile devices, likely not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory, Chad is correct, but in practice, it's a fool's errand. There's too many variables to even attempt it.

I'll admit I gave up on this kind of thing years ago, but doesn't Acrobat require flash player to be installed? Won't it prompt the user to play the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know, these are tricky questions. Sometimes it's worth just answering the question. I agree, I wouldn't do it or invest much time in the process due to reasons stated by Steve and Bob. In the earlier posts, the responses were no it can't be done. I know that to not be true and regardless of what the OP's intention, that is what they were trying to do.

Bob, I think as long as you don't use .flv video and use .mp4, it should play. That is yet another annoying aspect of multimedia in a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines