• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to fit text box to text automatically (like indesign)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

is there a way to make text boxes fit to the text that lives inside?

i'm working on a comp & if i change the font size of text in a box, the text overflows the box & it makes alignment with other elements after the fact difficult (or impossible).

anyone have any insight or workarounds for this?

it would be great to see an option to "fit frame to text" like indesign, or i just miss it someway 😕
i see this function just for picture frame, but nothing for text frame.
thanks!

Czech language in first pic. but is basicaly Fit Frame to Content.

0fea4f175065f2cbcc319de3e211b2fe.gif

386d00d80b05ec6d37ec0d87e81c9fc5.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Do you really like this flickering „images“? I personally can’t concentrate looking at them …

The fact, that browsers have their own idea about text size, tracking, leading, line breaks, …, should really explain, why commands like the ones, which exist in InDesign, are counterproductive in web design. Look at your own example: What happens, if Chrome is able to set „Yesterday“ into one line, but Safari or Firefox needs 2 lines for this word? In this case – what is more than likely to happen – you

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don`t understand your screencast.

Text boxes can be set to resize responsive and so they grow vertically while reducing their width obviously.

There´s no way to set a frame/an image to resize the same way than a text box (reduce in width AND grow vertically).

Give us a more detailed example of what your issue is about. Be sure, that if there´s a solution you find it here.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe bad interpretation by me...
So i want to ask if Muse offer function like Fit Frame to Content/Text inside like gifs from Indesign. Because i working on project with a lot typo in Muse and is a bit anoying example, when i need align more words with difference text frame. I need adjust every word separately.

Hope you understand what i mean.

bf0ce091a3c90c593224a5b342482962.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Muse fortunately(!) doesn‘t have such a feature. This is a print design feature, which would be absolutely contraproductive in web design.

• Every browser has its own text engine with more or less different text rendering. If you fit your text precisely into its frame in horizontal direction, this would necessarily cause text reflow in a second text line in many browsers. In web design you always have to provide some horizontal space in your text containers to compensate these browser differences. This is no Muse issue, this is a restriction of actual web design.
  • The height of a text box is a crucial design element, therefore it doesn‘t make sense, to reduce the height of a text frame exactly to the height of the text content.
    Before explaining this in many words:
    • Create a text frame, write something into it and place a rectangle below this textframe. Now drag the scubber, this grey vertical handle top right of the breakpoint bar, inwards and see, what happens.
    • Now make the textframe longer, and reposition the rectangle again vertically below the textframe.
    • And one more test: Drag the bottom edge of the text frame upwards „over“ the text. You will see a dotted line. Just experiment, to figure out, what this line is meant to be.

Here a short screencast to visualize these facts:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for exhausting answer and video. Im understand how text frame work on Muse and how text work n responsive web. It a pity, and i dont think this feature would by absolutely contraproductive in web design, Muse have this "half-feature" with picture!. It could work on simillar principle like Indesigne with small modification on frame.
Now tell me in this case, ill give you 2 example Indesign and Muse. let say im have few words like this "verticaly" and looking for "easiest" ways for align them with same Space with words not with TextFrame In Muse.
I work with Adode Apps more like decade, more and more i feel uncomfortable with latest update. Feel like adobe make "product", and users trying to adapt or f*ck off. It verry sad to see this direction of development. Not talking about Muse now

Indesign, 2 clicks.

52ad5ffede7e739b89d4b9c7db5e4a3c.gif

Muse, any way? without having to spend half day to manual adjust framebox, then align ?

giphy.gif

Or?
giphy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really like this flickering „images“? I personally can’t concentrate looking at them …

The fact, that browsers have their own idea about text size, tracking, leading, line breaks, …, should really explain, why commands like the ones, which exist in InDesign, are counterproductive in web design. Look at your own example: What happens, if Chrome is able to set „Yesterday“ into one line, but Safari or Firefox needs 2 lines for this word? In this case – what is more than likely to happen – your text box restrictions are made completely in vain. And we didn’t even talk talk about responsive design in this context!

The probability, that something like this happens is very high. Look at this screenshot, where you can see the differing results of different text engines:

text-flow-muse-browsers.jpg

Therefore I said, „fortunately(!) Muse doesn’t have such a feature“, and called it „counterproductive“ in web design.

If you need something like this, look at this short screencast, and you will see, that it only lasts seconds to achieve your intentions in Muse too.:

Can’t say, how glad I am, that have finished this comment: It is THAT annoying, to always see these flouncing, flickering legs on top of the text input field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you, I hope you do not have any permanent consequences by my Gifs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope so too. But don’t you think they are annoying – and 2 of them unnecessary too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines