• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC adversely affected by installation of Presenter

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Presenter, now Acrobat Standard DC is messed up. DC was bundled with my Dell laptop (purchased fall 2016). Now the PDF print driver is gone, DC will not update, and what I enter in a PDF form disappears when I close the file. Has anyone else this problem before?

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Ok, I have seen this sort of thing happen before. Creative Cloud includes the subscription version of Acrobat Pro. Unfortunately it offers this as an "upgrade" even if you don't have a subscription. So you have deleted your old app and replaced it with Acrobat Pro DC. I imagine, though you didn't mention it, that it is saying it is running as a trial and counting down; this will stop working when the countdown finishes.

You need to uninstall the new software and reinstall Acrobat Standard 2015 (n

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn’t sound familiar. Let’s tske just one point: you say it won‘t Update. What exact version do you have and what happens when you try to update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Adobe Acrobat Standard DC which was bundled with my Dell laptop, purchased in Oct 2016. I would be okay with it not "updating" if had not been adversely affected by the installation of Presenter. When I installed Presenter it was flagged as something that should be updated (within the Creative Cloud interface). So, I tried that. It gets to a certain point and backs out. Here is the error message:

----------- Payload: Adobe Acrobat DC 18.11.20035.0 Adobe Acrobat\Setup.exe_18.011.20035 -----------

ERROR: DW071:

ERROR: DW003: Third party payload installer Adobe Acrobat\Setup.exe failed with exit code: 1603

At some point some of DC's functionality disappeared -- perhaps during the install of Presenter or during the "update". For example, the PDF print driver is now gone and today I was not able to save IRS forms that I had spent considerable time filling in (which I had been able to do before, as I recall).

I suspect that the installation of Presenter (which also installed the Adobe Creative Cloud interface) -- and/or the update software -- makes some assumptions about "previous versions", i.e., discounting them. In this case the "old version" is only from 2016. It is reasonable to assume that I should be able to use DC for more than 1 1/2 years even if I install Presenter ... and that DC should not break when other Adobe software is installed, no matter what the version. At minimum I should be told (or asked) by the software installer if there is a potential conflict. Open source software suites usually do a better job at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version do you have? Something like 2015.546.65664? Look under Help — About?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It now has version 2018.011.20038 -- which is, supposedly, not what I installed in 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the current version of the subscription product. The subscription product automatically updates.

What came with the PC - was it a subscription product (pay every month or year?) or was it a one time fee/included?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a one-time purchase that should not have been modified by the installation of Presenter. I would like my old version of DC back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have seen this sort of thing happen before. Creative Cloud includes the subscription version of Acrobat Pro. Unfortunately it offers this as an "upgrade" even if you don't have a subscription. So you have deleted your old app and replaced it with Acrobat Pro DC. I imagine, though you didn't mention it, that it is saying it is running as a trial and counting down; this will stop working when the countdown finishes.

You need to uninstall the new software and reinstall Acrobat Standard 2015 (not the subscription version) from your original disk with your original serial number. Bizarrely, some PC makers don't give this information or a disk, if so you need to contact them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen any message to indicate that there is a “count down” for Acrobat. But I may have missed it.

I understand what you have told me — it is what I surmised — but I am not at all pleased as to how the installation of Presenter caused this side effect. So, in effect, Adobe has caused a problem that now must be “fixed” by me and Dell (because it was originally accessed via their digital locker — but it has not been accessible there for the last year).

I chose to purchase Presenter because I will be teaching a course online (as an adjunct, so I provide my own computing resources) and it provides some nice features. The installation script should have provided information concerning the Acrobat product already installed and given forewarning.

Thanks for your help, though.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved. I uninstalled both Acrobat DC and Presenter. Then I reinstalled the 2015 Acrobat DC and then reinstalled Presenter. Will NOT "update" Acrobat even if I am prompted. Fortunately I still had the installation files for Acrobat.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, these false upgrade offers are a real problem that Adobe would do well to resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines