• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fit different shapes inside one big shape in order to save space?

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to do something in Illustrator and I'm not sure I'm going about it the correct way. I'm gonna outline my steps and please let me know if I should do something differently and how to do the last thing.

I basically have a text that I have to divide into just 2 or 3 letters at a time and fit it into a box. I'm trying to find out if there is a button I can click on Illustrator and it will automatically fit it into the best combination to maximize the space I have.

This is what I'm doing:

-Type out what I need it to say and start dividing the words into 2 letter increments.

-Unite those faux 'syllables'.

-Release to Layers (Build) and erase those extra layers I don't need (is there a better way to do this, I'm sure there is).

Now I have something that looks like the picture attached and just need to fit it to the artboard in the best way possible. I tried to align to artboard with no success.

Let me know if you have any clue! Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 10.51.31 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Illustrator should have nesting

Flexisign pro has it, through very expensive...

Online maybe

SVGnest - Free and Open Source nesting for CNC machines, lasers and plasma cutters

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be better to simply your post and stick to your question and not provide unnecessary information. Difficult to understand what you are looking for.

With all your type  grouped, and a top object being a rectangle:

Object >> envelope Distort >> Make with top object.

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 11.08.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 11.09.08 PM.png

or maybe you just need to stretch the 2 letters to the artboard, by entering the value in the transform palette.

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 11.15.10 PM.png

not sure if you want you scaling to be symmetrical or stretched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work, I get an error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sort of thing? No.

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 8.27.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!! Exactly what I'm looking for!!!

How do you do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mouse, keyboard, and eyes. There is no one-click solution, at least that I know of. Just play with it—it's fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already do it that way and it's very time consuming when I have to do 20 different ones daily, which is why I'm looking for an easy way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you're already far better at it than I am. Sorry, I've got nothing better to offer you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't help you right now, but you can do a feature request to implement this technology as shown by Paul Asente during Adobe Max.

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

#PhysicsPak: Adobe MAX 2017 (Sneak Peeks) | Adobe Creative Cloud - YouTube

max.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator should have nesting

Online maybe

SVGnest - Free and Open Source nesting for CNC machines, lasers and plasma cutters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what I was looking for. I didn't even know there was a term for it and I agree, Illustrator should really have this already. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ray+Yorkshire  schrieb

3000 EUR

Looks like it might be a bit of an effort to get a decent and generally working nesting feature ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines