Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an entirely new PC. Specs:

AMD Threadripper 1960x 16-core

Geforce GTX 8GB graphics card

48gb DDR4 memory

2x SSD Samsung EVO 500gb

Still Premiere stutters while playing back. It stutters in 4K, but has the same exact stutter when editing HD or even lower.. There's definetely a problem in software or collaboration with one of my hardware parts.. Who has/had the same and can help me?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of media?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter: MP4, Prores or MXF in different formats: 720p to 4K..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter: MP4, Prores or MXF in different formats: 720p to 4K..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Create yourself some Cineform proxies using the guide below.

Work offline using proxy media |

Same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.. it's with EVERY kind of media i want to edit with. Doesn't matter if its 360p or 4K, in Prores or MP4, in MOV or in MXF... it's weird. And very annoying. THanks for the answers so far though!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Hardware Forum​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do Bill Gehrke's tweakers test to see if your machine is well tweaked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have had multiple Adobe support agents looking at the issue; none of them can get me the right answer. Hardware is all okay, it is something inside  CC that makes it impossible to see and use full computing power. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the Adobe support agents simply don't have the background and detailed knowledge ... and testing setup/records ... that Bill has. Bluntly, I'd go with Bill's knowledge over any of them on hardware.

First ... there are many other apps & processes that can interfere with parts of running PrPro, and Ann's right, sorting those out is part of "tuning" the computer, something I don't know that any of the techs are even aware of unless something gets big enough as an issue that it pops up on their checklists.

As an example, there were many people having a similar series of issues a year back. Finally one guy, in a feat of great troubleshooting, went through his computer for hours after creating a list of every process & dll running/loaded. One by one, removing them then running PrPro. When he removed the onedrive.dll file that's used in MS's "OneDrive" applet, bingo ... PrPro ran quick & flawless. Reinstalled that dll ... PrPro was junk again.

He posted on here, and a whole bunch of people mad as heck at Adobe for screwy software found by eliminating that file they had great performance again. This type of thing has come up over & over ... some other software, most often browsers & anti-virus/anti-malware apps, but many others, frequently something you would never guess. Which is why "tuning" can be important.

Second, Bill's PPBM testing isn't just pie-in-the-sky crap like having a logging system watching your GPU for a while. Just running a GPU logging app doesn't actually tell you anything useful. Ok, you had this much for a while, that much, but ... why? What was happening at those times? You don't know so the information is useless. And besides, the only way to get best performance is a system-wide performance log.

The PPBM is a zipped folder you get with a short sequence, the media used, and a few logging apps. Takes a few moments to set it all up, and after importing the sequence into PrPro you simply export it. The sequence is designed to rag the GPU, CPU/RAM/cores/threads, in-out disc access, between the media on it and the effects used. The loggers running while a known sequence is exporting give actually useful data for analyzing. Afterwards, with the analysis and comparison to thousands of other tests with similar/different hardware combinations, you know exactly why your rig isn't running better ... which is not something just putting loggers on the system or calling Adobe tech support can give you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanksfor the refences to PPBM we will sure try if you test for us.

What is a Threadripper 1960X?  Did you mean 1950X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always to to the following spots ... Bill Gehrke's Tweaker page/blog is the one place that has a real-time process to benchmark you computer while exporting a small provided Prpro project file so you get good data on what your system is doing front to back with PrPro ... read-times, RAM, CPU, GPU, all of it. That little project file is carefully designed to max out everything at some point in the process.

The Hardware forum is the PrPro forum for the digital video apps ... PrPro, AfterEffects, & Audition ... where the gear is the main topic. Bill & some other very good hardware folk 'hang out' there.

Neil

Tweaker's Page ... http://ppbm8.com/index.html

Hardware Forum ... https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest release 12.0.1 (build 59) and was getting similar issues. I was wondering if you applied any effects?

I've been having similar issues then I noticed that for some reason the hard limiter plugin was causing some really weird playback issues.

It might not solve your problem but could help identify some problematic effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this,

it worked for me with 4K prores files on Windows.  In task manager, under details, right click on premiere pro.exe and change priority to normal.   It will probably be on High Priority by default..

It may not work for you, as I'm on an 18core Xeon, Premiere Pro Is very smooth for me now when running on normal priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Putting in my two cents here: I suffered the same issue with a new Threadripper 1950X machine. It seems to be a timing / scheduling issue involving Premiere's handling of the audio driver under AMD's implementation of 16/32-core multithreading. It's also possible that the problem only occurs in combination with a Nvidia GTX 10x0 GPU... or this could be a red herring related to those cards' popularity among editors buying Threadrippers in the past nine months.

In my case, the issue completely went away when I increased the I/O buffer in Premiere from 512 to 2048 (and increased the ASIO buffer in the ASIO drivers to 2048 as well; they might refer to the same buffer, but I'm not sure).

Note that you'll need to install ASIO drivers if you weren't already using them. Also, you'll have to restart Premiere for any change here to take effect, which initially tripped me up.

Both before and after the fix, it's clear that my initially "problematic" timelines weren't taxing the 1950X at all, giving me <5% CPU utilization with no spikes on fairly complex projects... all while being able to render some AE comps on the fly without any dropped frames.

And for fun, try lowering the Premiere I/O buffer to 64 and enjoy some really bizarre playback (repeating fragments, shots out of order). This suggests some crossed wires in PPro's implementation of multithreading, which doesn't bode well for the upcoming 32/64-core CPUs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines