• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Native Codec for Premiere? Cineform?

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats currently the fastest codec for premiere CC 2018 to playback? Im looking for maximum 4k performance. I know in the past ProRes sucked because it had to go through the QT32 app and something similar with avid DNXHR. All the footage were shooting is 4k either from a FS7 in XAVC 10 bit or DSL H264 (mix of 1080P and 4k)

Also Im wondering  - theoretically we dont have a problem with storage space (we have a MAM) so we could just pre transcode all footage to something like Cineform masters and skip H264 all together right? Im assuming AME exports now to cineform pretty fast now that GoPro has open sourced it?

Cheers

-Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

I've seen a number of comparisons about playback, and really ... ProRes, Cineform, and DNxHD/R were pretty close to each other and WAY ahead of any h.264/long-GOP format. Some people prefer one or the other for their work. I don't know there's that much difference.

Easy test ... take some media that's got a lot of motion, transcode to each of those, and test playback. Even maybe with say a Lumetri color preset added to up the load.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a number of comparisons about playback, and really ... ProRes, Cineform, and DNxHD/R were pretty close to each other and WAY ahead of any h.264/long-GOP format. Some people prefer one or the other for their work. I don't know there's that much difference.

Easy test ... take some media that's got a lot of motion, transcode to each of those, and test playback. Even maybe with say a Lumetri color preset added to up the load.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does premiere do native Prorress now or still have to go through QT32? Or does it different windows vs OSX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows10, so not really a great 'resource' for ProRes/Mac-OS stuff. Very little of what I deal with is ProRes, naturally.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Cineform codec for years.

IMO it is a great master codec for Windows/PPro machines- fast, easy to digest, lossless...

The only issue is the very large file size, but if storage is not a problem, you could hardly do better than Cineform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend using Cineform proxies.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was indeed very helpful, thank you. Trying it out now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines