Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported h264 will not play correctly

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have a new Dell XPS tower that I bought specifically for editing. I have a strange problem where exported files won't play properly on other computers.

I export to h264/mp4 using vimeo recommendations. It is the same export profile that I have used successfully on a different computer for years.

Though the file will play back without any issue on the same computer it was rendered on when copied to a different computer, parts of the video will play, and parts will not.

What I mean by this is, it may play back fine for 30 seconds then the video freezes but the audio continues to play. After another 30 seconds the video catches up and plays fine again, after another minute this happens again. This pattern repeats itself throughout the entire video. Vimeo is also not able to process these videos, or sometimes it will process but playback on vimeo shows the same problem.

This problem exists on about half of the files I export. The only way I can fix it is to repeat the render until the file is good. This may take 5 renders before I get a good file. AME shows no errors during or after rendering.

It sounds like a codec issue to me but I do not know how to correct this as Premiere should have all the codecs it needs.

I have installed K-lite and VLC, my previous system had that but it did not help the issue on this new computer.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed K-lite

Bad move, codec packs are know to mess up your codecs.

Post screenshot of export settings of the mp4 with left tab to output with an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try vbr 1 pass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try, but can I ask what that would change?

I have used this profile for several years on a different computer without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something must have changed: windows update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new computer, I'm not sure it's even had any updates. I'm still using the old computer as well without issue. Both computers have the same OS so they should be getting the same updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to upload one of the "bad" files I can take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are 3.5-4GB 45 minute files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the issue not persist in shorter increments? Can you isolate a 20-30 second "problem" area and just export that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a bad file in Premiere on the old computer (what I have access to right now) and this is what I get

I don't know if there is any point in re-rendering a clip on the newer computer as the video plays back fine on that computer anyway.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can't do anything with a screenshot. Let me know if you ever upload a problem file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I didn't clarify. This is the error I get when I tried to render a sample video to upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution, but more info that might help:

What are the main particulars of the new PC?

What specific versions numbers on each PC for Windows and PR?

Re Error 99, see this thread for an example:

PREMIERE PRO ERROR 99

Also more general troubleshooting these issues:

How to fix issues that cause errors when rendering or exporting

Are you exporting to a local drive?

The timecodes seem odd to me. But one of the troubleshooting suggestions is to look at the timecode reported: 4 hours 34 minutes and change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both new and old system is Win 10 version 1709 build 16299.248 and PP 12.0.1 build 69

Yes, exporting to a local drive

Also, if it is of any help, I came up with a temporary solution to get caught up on rendering these videos. I copied the project file and source files to the older system, opened it in PP there and rendered. This file played back successfully.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Match Source - Adaptive High Bitrate preset under the H.264 Format.  That'll work everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had thought of that, but the only difference between that profile and my profile is CBR vs VBR with a different bitrate. I didn't see that it was relevant. I will try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Match Source - Adaptive High Bitrate did not correct the problem.

Another attempt to render in mpeg2 match source also does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make new project and import old one.

Before exporting reboot machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Match Source - Adaptive High Bitrate did not correct the problem.

Then there is a problem with that machine, or the player being used on that machine.  Don't look to PP to solve that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never meant to suggest it was specifically a PP problem. I was only asking for advice on where the problem is and what to do about it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what player is being used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When testing the video on other computers, I use windows media player, VLC player, and import into PP. Vimeo also will not process or playback the video properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just don't use Vimeo, so I can't comment on that.  But if VLC won't play the file when using Match Source - Adaptive High Bitrate, then it's very likely that computer has something wrong with it.

Or, it's just old and doesn't have enough juice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize the problem is with the computer. What I was hoping was that someone has run into this before and had some insight as to what was causing this.

It is a brand new custom XPS tower. I spec'd this specifically for premiere. It has enough juice.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines