• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I transfer Video keywords from Bridge, as tags in Windows File Explorer?

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Bridge to add keywords to a large collection of photos and videos, and I need the keywords to show up as tags on Windows File Explorer.

This worked fine for all the jpgs. The keywords are automatically being carried over as tags on explorer.

However, for my mp4 files, the tag section is empty when I check from explorer. Inside Bridge I can still see the keywords checked, they are just not being transferred as tags on explorer.

I have tried going into file-info on Bridge, copied all the keywords, then on explorer I went to the file's properties, and pasted them in the tags area. It works.

But this way I have to work with one file at a time, and each file takes 15-20 seconds (in my case).

Is there a way to easily make Windows File Explorer read Bridge's keywords as tags for mp4 files? If it works automatically for jpgs, what am I missing here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Thanks for your help. This is what I have learned:

- Tags are used by windows

- Keywords are used by Bridge

- For photos they are the same thing (at least for jpg)

- For videos they are different

*also, mov and mpegs don't accept tags. mp4 are okay.

So this is my (temporary) solution with a bit of time cost:

- Apply video keywords in Bridge

- Copy the keywords (right-click>file info>basic>keywords)

- Paste them as tags in File Explorer (right-click>properties>details>tags)

This way I have to work on one f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to figure out why you can't see Keyword 'Tags' added to videos (and my guess probably also audio) files.  Including reversing the process, and adding Tags in File Explorer and then trying to see where they'd appear in the metadata, and spent about 45mins searching for more information about this online.

In short: I think Keywords added to video and audio files using Bridge, are not supported by File Explorer, and it appears that you might need to use another tool to add keywords metadata to your video files.

The following post I found online seems to verify that:

adding IPTC tags/keywords to video files

This user did some thorough testing, and discovered that through the use of EXIFTool (exiftool download | SourceForge.net ) - an Open Source metadata editing application, which you can use to edit metadata, you can add keywords, however they appear in the "Category" field on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. This is what I have learned:

- Tags are used by windows

- Keywords are used by Bridge

- For photos they are the same thing (at least for jpg)

- For videos they are different

*also, mov and mpegs don't accept tags. mp4 are okay.

So this is my (temporary) solution with a bit of time cost:

- Apply video keywords in Bridge

- Copy the keywords (right-click>file info>basic>keywords)

- Paste them as tags in File Explorer (right-click>properties>details>tags)

This way I have to work on one file at a time, but I need the keywords/tags to exist both inside Bridge and in File Explorer, and I don't see a better way atm.

Wondering why Bridge hasn't fixed this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Adobe Product allows you to Paste tags in File Explorer (right-click>properties>details>tags)? 

I have not yet been able to locate this option. see attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting. Is there an example with PDF files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh ok, Might Adobe have a fix? Isn't  PDF their thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's really frustrating is that PDFs created using Adobe Acrobat use XMP metadata, just like JPG files. So why can't Windows read/edit PDF XMP metadata?

Reading those Windows forums, it seems like the PDF ifilter for Windows is the culprit. I'm not knowledgeable enough to confirm this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft Edge is the default PDF viewer on Windows, and there is limited metadata support there. I'd look at Acrobat DC or Foxit Reader if you need more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a solution:

https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/pdfpropertyextension

Interesting info on the site:

"Starting from Windows Vista®, file properties subsystem was deeply changed and the old IColumnHandler support has been removed.
The new IPropertyHandler interface must be implemented to let custom file properties (like Title, Author, Comments) appear in Windows Explorer (File Explorer).

None of the free PDF viewers I know, including the official Adobe Reader®, implement the new interface.
Some of them implement the IFilter interface that makes properties available only to Windows Search.
A trick/workaround to show PDF properties is to write somethinf in the "search" box in the upper-right corner of Windows Explorer, like *.pdf, but it's an uncomfortable solution for me.

But starting a file search just to show PDF titles was too much for me, that's why I wrote PDF Property Extension."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solution Found! Thank you! I can now put the info I wish to search for and list by, in the Document Properies -->Description tab--> Keywords: field. It appers in the File Expoler Tags column! this is so useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines