Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have many slides in my project that include:

- a Click box

- a Highlight box

- and s Smart shape

I need to draw attention to them by dimming the rest of the slide background. Are there any ways to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

It depends on the type of project. The HIghlight box can be used while the outer area is dimmed, which is the easiest solution but only possible with a rectangular shape. Because you are covering up, stacking objects this standard object type is not supported for responsive projects, Fluid Boxes workflow. Same restriction for the solution by Rod because that also needs object stacking. For that type of projects to avoid having to limit the fluid boxes layout control by switching to Static fluid

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, quite a few.  But I would suggest the easiest way would be to:

• place a black smart shape over the entire background but underneath the objects you want to stand out.
  • Set the opacity of this shape to whatever percentage makes it look like a nice dark shadow.
  • Fade the shape in on the timeline at the point where you want to create this shadow / highlight effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rod!

I've tried this and brought all objects to the front. But the field that needs to catch focus and that is behind the Highlight area remains under this grey smart shape. So this solution doesn't seem to work for my situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Perhaps I misunderstood.  I thought your text field was perhaps a Text Entry Box object that was sitting above a background.  Is that NOT the case?  When you say the 'field' that needs to catch focus, are you talking about a TEB or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a software simulation that has to guide new users through the fields they need to fill (I use highlight box). I use smart shape to give more information on that field or whatever button user needs to click.

So it's a product tour with not many objects on the slide and one rectangle that needs to remain not dimmed. I need something like a smart shape with a rectangle hole in a certain place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the type of project. The HIghlight box can be used while the outer area is dimmed, which is the easiest solution but only possible with a rectangular shape. Because you are covering up, stacking objects this standard object type is not supported for responsive projects, Fluid Boxes workflow. Same restriction for the solution by Rod because that also needs object stacking. For that type of projects to avoid having to limit the fluid boxes layout control by switching to Static fluid boxes, I can only recommend multistate objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the answer now!

It's Highlight Box with grey fill and some lower opacity than 100% + selected check box Fill Outer Area.
I'm using Captivate for a week only, so i didn't know it. Sorry for bothering you all here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe if you had read my answer, this was what I mentioned as the easiest way:

"The HIghlight box can be used while the outer area is dimmed, "

Strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read your answer very carefully but just couldn't find that you mean selecting a specific check box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because that is not the only way. For any new non-responsive project I immediately change the style of the Highlight box in the Object Style Manager: reverse the dimming (which is normally inside of the highlight box) and edit the stroke to fit with the Theme colors. Since I didn't know which type of project you wer using, I didn't add a screenshot.. However I wrote that the highlight box is an easier solution because you can dim the outside area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources