Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create adjustment layer without mask while having selection

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Maybe someone already had this problem, when you have a selection and you need to create an adjustments layer applying on whole images (without any mask) and keep current selection.

The thing is when I have a selection and create adjustment layer, selection automatically converts to a mask for this new adjustment layer. How can I make it not use selection as a mask?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's possible. you can save the selection to an alpha channel, the reload it after you create your adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know about this option and about option to save selection and then load selection, but this is complex approach..

there should be an easier solution I just think not aware about it...

Hope someone can have the answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point of the selection is to "tell" Photoshop to affect only that part of your image. As long as the selection is active, that is how it is going to work. The only work around would be to then fill the adjustment layer mask with white once you are finished working with your selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

otrokhim  wrote

Yes, I know about this option and about option to save selection and then load selection, but this is complex approach..

there should be an easier solution I just think not aware about it...

Hope someone can have the answer

My approach to saving selections, is to copy the pixels within it to a new layer.  Then you can Ctrl (Cmd) click that layer to reload the selection. Or you can Shift click the Adjustment layer's mask to disable it, or you can fill it with white with Alt backspace.  But there is no way that I know of, to make a new adjustment layer ignore an active selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get it.

Either you want an adjustment only within a selection (which is the point of making the selection) or you want an adjustment on the whole layer: then don't use a selection.

If you don't want to lose a selection you made then save it for later use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My use case is I have an image of object with almost white background, but may not be completely white. And to check if it's 255.255.255 white I apply adjustment layer Levels, darkening very much to see if white is solid white. In case it has some not solid white parts I see it easily and can remove by using Dodge tool. I have a script on one hotkey that adds or removes that adjustment layer by one press to use it very quickly.

And sometimes I need to make selection to not dodge object on image and pressing a hotkey adds adjustment layer with mask of that selection, which bothers me much.

I think I just have to correct the script like mentioned above, create adj layer, cmd on mask to retrieve the selection and remove mask, then on second press adj layer will be removed..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it easier, at least at the big areas to simply use a fairly large brush and paint with white in overlay mode?

Just a thought...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ronald+Keller  wrote

Isn't it easier, at least at the big areas to simply use a fairly large brush and paint with white in overlay mode?

Just a thought...

Brush in overlay mode will affect highlights, midtones and shadows, if you try to eliminate those almost white areas close to an object, it is not safe for the object.

Dodge tool in "Highlight" Range and with right "Exposure" (2-6%) affect only bright, almost white pixels, while absolutely not affecting dark pixels (midtones and shadows). It's safe to use close to object.

But if I have big areas far from object I just use big hard 100% Eraser tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had a clever idea and suggest using the Reselect command after applying the adjustment layer(s), but much to my surprise Photoshop completely forgets the previous selection. That's rather disappointing, if not darn user-unfriendly.

Tried the same thing in PhotoLine and Krita, and no issue of reverting to the previous selection in either of them. It just works.

Come on Photoshop Devs: you can do better than this. Why make life harder than it needs to be for your users? It's a pretty basic workflow requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No workarounds are necessary. As Jeff pointed out once you made an adjustment layer the selection is never lost. No need to go to Select > Reselect, simply Ctrl click the layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ronald+Keller  wrote

No workarounds are necessary. As Jeff pointed out once you made an adjustment layer the selection is never lost. No need to go to Select > Reselect, simply Ctrl click the layer mask.

And Shift click the mask to disable it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could just let the adjustment layer create the mask, Ctrl or Cmd click on the layer mask to load the selection, then delete the layer mask.

You could even record an action to automate the process with one click  or shortcut key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jeff+Arola  wrote

You could just let the adjustment layer create the mask, Ctrl or Cmd click on the layer mask to load the selection, then delete the layer mask.

You could even record an action to automate the process with one click  or shortcut key.

All awkward workarounds and workflow breakers. Photoshop's Reselect command ought to remember the last selection no matter what other actions were performed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rayek.elfin  wrote

Photoshop's Reselect command ought to remember the last selection no matter what other actions were performed.

I agree with that. Can't be too hard.

The other option, to let Photoshop create the layer but ignore the active selection - that's never going to fly. That would cause a flood of complaints the other way, because it happens to be very useful and time saving.

There's a third way: shift-click to create the adjustment layer, telling it to ignore the selection. That would make sense to us experienced old hands, since shift-click is already used to disable the mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

rayek.elfin   wrote

Photoshop's Reselect command ought to remember the last selection no matter what other actions were performed.

I agree with that. Can't be too hard.

The other option, to let Photoshop create the layer but ignore the active selection - that's never going to fly. That would cause a flood of complaints the other way, because it happens to be very useful and time saving.

There's a third way: shift-click to create the adjustment layer, telling it to ignore the selection. That would make sense to us experienced old hands, since shift-click is already used to disable the mask

That's how PhotoLine solved it: the reselect command always works, unless a new selection was made, and layer masks creation is decoupled from selections, leaving it up to the user whether an active selection must be used or not. The layer mask drop-down list in the layer panel allows the PL user to create a new layer mask based on the active selection or just ignore it.

The workflow is user friendlier in that regard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but in almost all situations, selection > masked adjustment layer is a very natural flowing progression, and it should be automatic. Having to specifically activate the mask breaks the flow.

Extra steps, chopping up the work - that's exactly what people here don't want, right?

Yes, it happens - but much more rarely! - that you have a selection, then decide you want a blank adjustment layer instead - but still don't want to ditch the selection. So you just save the selection, done, move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Yes, but in almost all situations, selection > masked adjustment layer is a very natural flowing progression, and it should be automatic. Having to specifically activate the mask breaks the flow.

Extra steps, chopping up the work - that's exactly what people here don't want, right?

Yes, there are instances where you have a selection, then decide you want a blank adjustment layer instead - but still don't want to ditch the selection. So you just save the selection, done, move on.

You're absolutely right, applying a mask while having a selection is 99,9999% case to use that selection for mask and it is natural expected behavior.

It just would be useful to have the option to make an adjustment layer without a mask while keeping current selection active, like a check box in the dialog window, so I could uncheck the box and record for action. But 99.9999% of the time that box will be checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think this is the best option, I was using it, but thought there is a better one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@@@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop’s default behavior is to add a layer mask whenever an adjustment layer is created. You can however use the fly-out menu on the Adjustments panel to check/uncheck “Add Mask by Default” to toggle this behavior. Other than that you can also visit adobe website for this.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

john890  wrote

Photoshop’s default behavior is to add a layer mask whenever an adjustment layer is created. You can however use the fly-out menu on the Adjustments panel to check/uncheck “Add Mask by Default” to toggle this behavior. Other than that you can also visit adobe website for this.

Capture.JPG

This option is only for the situation when you don't have active selection: Then you can choose whether you want empty mask added to adjustment layer or not, but in case you have active selection, mask is always created and you loose selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines