7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2008 12:57 PM by kglad

Not an easy 'scrolling image' question

SteveH59 Level 1
      Hello

I have six scrollable images and the idea is that each one will have a bit of relevant text to accompany each image.

The problem I have is that the text for image 1 is the same text which accompanies image 2 (and 3, 4, etc).

If you can imagine visiting an art gallery and looking at a seascape with a description alongside it of powerful, crashing waves then, moving along to the next picture, a still life of a banana - with the same description alongside it of powerful, crashing waves!

It is important to understand that the text is not part of the image. I have a kind of picture 'frame' which the text is part of - so these are static - and the images enter this frame from the right.

What I need to do, I think, is stitch each individual text to its image so that when an image is scrolled the text is scrolled with it, or make the text/image recognise that when image 1 is loaded, text 1 is loaded, too; when image 3 is loaded then text 3 is loaded alongside it, etc.

What would be the best way, please, to go about this?

To give you a better idea, please visit this link, select Portfolio, and then one of the thumbnails.

http://stevehigham59.7host.com/9Test/9Test.html

Many thanks.

Steve
        • 1. Re: Not an easy 'scrolling image' question
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          attach a dynamic textfield to the movieclip (or a parent of the movieclip) used to display the images. assign the appropriate text with a.s.
          • 2. Re: Not an easy 'scrolling image' question
            SteveH59 Level 1
            Hello kglad

Thank you for your reply.

That sounds the best option: so when the user clicks on a thumbnail (opening up the larger image) the Action Script can load the accompanying text into a dynamic text box.

That certainly makes sense, but doing it is a whole different ball game.

Would this be best done with an if/else statement as if:

if image 1 selected select text 1
            else if image 2 selected then select text 2

Any maybe the text could be done in a simple text file which the AS links to?

Would you mind if I posted the Action Script I have already. It relates to the scrolling part of the image portfolio and is not much.

Thanks again.

Steve
            • 3. Re: Not an easy 'scrolling image' question
              commonly you would use an xml file to list, for each image, the thumbnail, large image and description. you would then parse your xml, storing the those 3 strings into an array or into 3 arrays. you would then have an easy way to associate each thumb, large image and description.

but no matter what you are doing, how you furnishing the thumb, large image, description data to your application will determine how you associate the three things.
              • 4. Not an easy 'scrolling image' question
                SteveH59 Level 1
                Hello kglad

Thanks again for your reply.

I don't think it would need to be so 'dynamic' as the text which would be generated would be determined by which thumbnail the user clicked on: the images do not appear at random: each one is selected by the user. The thumbnails and larger images are, themselcves fine and seem to work more or less OK - it's the text issue which is problematic.

Could your suggestion be accommodated by the script already in place? That is:

This is the Action Script I have at the moment:

Movie Clip (1)

on (rollOver) {
                this.gotoAndPlay(2);
                }
                on (release) {
                if (_root.scrollN>-2) {
                _root.scrollN--
                }
                }

Movie Clip (2)

for (i=2;i<7;i++) {
                duplicateMovieClip("1",i,this.getNextHighestDepth( ));
                this ._y=this[i-1]._y+121;
                this
                ._name=i;
                }

On the other hand, would it be expensive for me to ask someone to do it?

Cheers

Steve
                • 5. Re: Not an easy 'scrolling image' question
                  that doesn't contain the code needed to associate your thumbs, images and text.

send me an email via my website.
                  • 6. Re: Not an easy 'scrolling image' question
                    SteveH59 Level 1
                    Hello kglad

Message sent to your Web site.

Cheers

Steve
                    • 7. Re: Not an easy 'scrolling image' question
                      i received your email and responded the same day (7/3). i sent a follow-up email on 7/4 when i received no response.

my emails are being sent from gmail.com. check your spam filter or junk filter to see if my messages are being redirected. i'm sending another now.