Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Global Preferences: Recording: Defaults

Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to set up Global preferences for the Recording defaults so when I start a brand new Record a Simulation I have the customized captions.

I believe the Recording defaults go with the Theme, so if I create a project, then apply the Theme, I can see the customized Recording defaults.

However, if I open a brand new Record a simulation, I see the default Recording preferences.

Is there a way to apply the Recording defaults from a Theme to the Global Recording defaults?

Thanks in advance

Bobby

26-03-2018 11-31-00.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to export Preferences, if you cannot apply the same theme. Normally all settings in the Preferences can be exported and imported in new projects. Because Recording Defaults are also part of the 'design', they are also included in the Theme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Lieve, I think this is on a different level. Exporting the preferences will allow me to import them in an existing project. When one starts a new Software simulation, there is no project per se. The new Software simulation would automatically take the Global recording defaults. Actually, I am not sure the Recording defaults are exported with the Preferences. They are part of the Theme, not of the Preferences. I may be wrong of course

Thanks again B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must confess that I didn't test it, didn't have time - my bad and not what I normally do.  You meay be correct because those choices use default styles which can be changed when switching to another theme. Maybe some one else can help you. Software simulations only use the Blank master slide. Do you use captions or shapes? What exactly do you want to preserve in all future projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a custom made Smart shape and a highlight box mostly. Actually, what I did is the following

1. Ctr+R to start a new Simulation

2. Before shooting anything went to Settings

3. I go to the Recording / Defaults and tried to "Create New style". I thought maybe I should just recreate my custom styles in the Global preferences.

The software crashed and this is what I have now as Global Preferences: Recording: Defaults.

Nothing... Something went terribly wrong...

Thanks Lieve

22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like your Preferences may have been corrupted when Captivate crashed.  You will need to reset your Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod

I tried to "Restore Defaults" but Captivate crashes.

Is that what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  Resetting your Preferences file involves digging down to the Captivate install directory in Program Files, find the Utils directory there, then double-click the CleanPreferencesWin.bat file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod

I would need to involve other people since there are some restrictions. I will keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Rod

I did reset the Preferences but I have the same issue

Would you have any tip for me?

Maybe should reinstall Captivate 2017?

Thanks once again
B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible you may need to reinstall.  But the issue you are seeing with items not appearing in the Preferences is normally solved by resetting Preferences.

If you DO reinstall Captivate, you'll also need to reset Preferences again there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you once again Rod

This is not a show-stopper for me right now, but I would need to consider reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Long shot that you are still waiting on an answer to this Bobby Jourdan​, but I may have a solution. We've been working with our own custom themes and using default object styles this year. I found that setting your theme (which has the desired object styles programmed) as your default theme will then enable you to apply those (now default) object styles to your Global Recording Preferences.

There are multiple threads related to setting a theme as the default. Depending on whether it's a custom theme or "out-of-the-box" theme you're using, you may want to consider saving your theme in a specific location. That is another conversation though...

Setting a Theme as Default: With a project open that is using the theme (and object styles) you want to use in your project, click Themes (button) > locate the theme you're using or want to use > right-click > select Set As Default Theme.

setDefaultTheme.png

Applying the default object styles to new projects and recordings:

Open Global Preferences dialog: Close any projects you have open > click Edit (menu) > select Preferences.

Under Recording > Defaults, you should be able to access the object styles that are used in your default theme. Under Recording > Modes, you can then add the objects to your recording modes as you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful. You are showing the new Themes dialog box, where you can hape multiple themes in one project. I am still exploring in-depth the consequences of this change. Recording defaults are indeed part of a theme, but what will happen in a project with multiple themes? Need more time, have figured out already several things, but not everything is clear. Same with Global Preferences which alos have Recording defaults, which could be overridden if you change to another theme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, yes, this new feature is getting added just when I start to learn about themes and object styles. It's making it a bit more difficult, for sure. And I'm definitely looking forward to reading what you find out!

I happened to stumble across this thread looking for something else, but since this workflow seems to work for our purposes I wanted to share.

Note: We are using a default custom theme to capture our screens for software simulations. Setting it as default theme allows us to access the objects we want from Global Prefs, for recording purposes. BUT...our process has always been to then take those captures and paste into another project (which actually uses a second custom theme). So, this "multiple themes in one project" thing is really going to be important for us to understand moving forward.

Thanks Lilybiri​!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my blos about Themes, Object Styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure have! I've read the entries listed below, as well as numerous forum threads, blogs of others...

I'm always reading something about Captivate, and your name is on a lot of them.

Object Styles in a Theme - Captivate blog

Themes Q&A - eLearning

What's in a Theme - a Template? - Captivate blog

Captivate 8.0.1 Install? Keep your Customisation! - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You missed some (I don't see much published about Themes and Object styles)

Manage the Object Style Manager! - Captivate blog

Responsive Projects: Object styles - Captivate blog

Theme mysteries? - Captivate blog

Using Copy/Päste Appearance in 11.5.0 - Captivate blog

The last one has also some links with object styles as you will read....

Now I am busy with a blog about the changes for themes in 11.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will get out of the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources