7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2008 11:33 PM by elliothtz

Error installing AIR on Mac

elliothtz
      I'm running Leopard 10.5 and I keep getting this error when I try to install AIR:

quote:

This application requires Adobe AIR to function. Please download the latest version of the runtime from http://www.adobe.com/go/getair, then launch the application again.

So, I need AIR installed before I can install AIR? Uh, ok? Has anyone else experienced this? I've downloaded the latest dmg and still no luck.
        • 1. Re: Error installing AIR on Mac
          Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
          Obviously you don't really need AIR installed to, uh, install AIR.

Here's what's going on: during the installation process, the copy of AIR that's about to be installed is used, rather like an AIR application was running during the install process. Normally this error message would only appear if you had installed an AIR application, uninstalled AIR, and then tried to run the application again. When we run this code during install, we don't expect to encounter an error like this, since—assuming the installer isn't corrupt—we *know* there's a good copy of AIR present. So while we detect the error, we didn't bother special-casing the error message for this situation.

Receiving this error message from the installer, then, suggests that either (a) something is wrong with the DMG you downloaded, (b) a mounted DMG on your system isn't behaving like DMGs on other Leopard systems, or (c) something even more bizarre that I haven't thought of yet.

If none of that rings a bell, here's a couple of things to try:

1) Find a site that uses the badge installer, like desktop.ebay.com. Installing via this method doesn't use a DMG and may avoid the issue. (I realize you may not want the eBay Desktop app; you can always uninstall it afterward.)

2) Run dtruss over the install process, and then send me the output. We'll let you know what we find. (Let me know if you need details on how to do this.)

• 2. Error installing AIR on Mac
            elliothtz Level 1
            The first thing I did when I couldn't get the dmg to work was try the ebay badge. Didn't work. I even tried installing an old beta version but no luck.

I don't know how to run dtruss over the install, but this was in the console log:

6/24/08 2:49:55 AM com.apple.launchd[112] ([0x0-0x889889].com.adobe.air.Installer[17427]) Exited with exit code: 4

• 3. Re: Error installing AIR on Mac
              elliothtz Level 1
              Still having issues with the install. Can anyone tell me how to run dtruss? Thanks in advance.
              • 4. Re: Error installing AIR on Mac
                You may need to adjust your paths slightly, but assuming you've mounted the DMG you download, it should be roughly the following command. (Run it from a Terminal window.)

sudo dtruss "/Volumes/AdobeAIR/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer"

• 5. Re: Error installing AIR on Mac
                  elliothtz Level 1
                  The output I got was pretty verbose, so I created a txt file and uploaded it here:

http://drop.io/elliothtz

Let me know if this helps.
                  • 6. Re: Error installing AIR on Mac
                    Thanks for providing the trace.

It appears that you have 1Password installed on your machine and that an incompatibility in 1Password is preventing AIR from loading properly. (1Password hooks the system input manager, which is why it is accessed by AIR.)

I recommend you uninstall 1Password. (If you have an old version, you might try upgrading in case the issue has been addressed.)

• 7. Re: Error installing AIR on Mac
                      elliothtz Level 1
                      Thanks for the help. I rely on 1password pretty often, so I will just have to wait until the issue is resolved.