4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2008 12:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

Actionscript 3 in Director

Shane Hoffa
      Will the next version of Director be able to load Flash content that is created in Actionscript 3?
        • 1. Re: Actionscript 3 in Director
          Shane Hoffa Level 1
          Sorry, I should have searched for the answer prior to posting the question. I see that Adobe isn't going to support AS3 in Director anytime soon.
          • 2. Re: Actionscript 3 in Director
            Level 7
            Actually, Adobe has not made any statements about the state of AS3 and
            Director apart from the fact that it is not usable in the current
            version. They never said anything along the lines of "Adobe isn't going
            to support AS3 any time soon". Of course, they never said they
            wouldn't either. They have certainly not made any definitive statements
            about what will or will not be included in the next version of Director.
            Any guesses on your part (or mine) would be simply guesses that are not
            based on any facts. My guess is that AS3 will be supported in the next
            version of Director (at which point Flash will likely have brought out
            AS4). But that is simply my guess.
            • 3. Re: Actionscript 3 in Director
              Shane Hoffa Level 1
              Ok, now I'm confused. Check out the datasheet PDF on Adobe's site. It states:
              "
              Support for Flash 9 and video created with Flash:

Expand your creative options by seamlessly
              importing content created with Flash 9,
              including files using ActionScript 3.0."

Here is the link to the datasheet: www.adobe.com/products/director/pdfs/director11_datasheet.pdf.

• 4. Re: Actionscript 3 in Director
                Level 7
                That is true in a marketing sense... if there is AS3 in the swf, then it
                might work. But, in the technological sense, it is not entirely true.
                Director can not communicate with AS3... AS3 can not communicate with
                Director. If the script is entirely self contained, then it should
                work. AS3 components absolutely will not work. We can all hope that
                this is addressed in a future release. But so far, Adobe has made no
                mention of any such thing.