5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2008 1:51 PM by kglad

6 out of 7 buttons don't work

gregn11
      So I've used this same basic script many times and it's work flawlessly. Now, when I use it, the only button that works is client2_btn. Obviously, the client buttons are navigating to different pages. And the thumbs are going to different labels in the timeline. Any clues? Not that it should matter, but these buttons sit above a mc containing a dynamic text box with scrolling text. All text and script for that is contained in it's own mc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: 6 out of 7 buttons don't work
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          if that parent movieclip has mouse handlers the parent will intercept mouse events so the child objects can't respond.

if no parent has mouse handlers, double check your button/movieclip path/instance names.
          • 2. Re: 6 out of 7 buttons don't work
            gregn11 Level 1
            even when I take the mc containing the scrolling text and script out of the timeline, the buttons don't work. All path/instance names are correct.

Any other thoughts?

Maybe a corrupt file? Should I start over?
            • 3. Re: 6 out of 7 buttons don't work
              post a link to your fla.
              • 4. Re: 6 out of 7 buttons don't work
                gregn11 Level 1
                I ended up recreating each button from scratch rather than duplicate and modify as needed, and that did the trick. Why that would have anything to do with the script not working is beyond me. I've never seen that issue before.

Thanks for you thoughts.
                • 5. Re: 6 out of 7 buttons don't work
                  you may have had matching instance names, but not the same instances.

for example, if you have an object with instance name name1 on frame 1. then create a blank keyframe on frame 2 and then a keyframe on frame 3 and drag another object from the library (and it can be the same library object) and name it name1, the frame 1 and frame3 objects will be different instances. code referencing the object in frame 1 will not reference the object in frame 3 (and vice-versa).

if you create frame 1 and create name1 in that frame, then create keyframe 3 (so name 1 is in both frames) and finally create blank keyframe 2, the 2 instances will be the same. any code referencing name1 will reference both objects.